Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 PM

Default How about a GSH Excerpt?

It's available for preorder, so how about a little peek?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: How about a GSH Excerpt?

Haven't you already gotten started in hold 'em?

I PM'd Ed about another thread in which I commented about his new book even though I've only had a couple brief conversations with him about it. He hasn't responded.

Still, my impression is that this book isn't aimed at anybody who is already somewhat knowledgeable about hold 'em. It certainly isn't for somebody who read his excellent Small Stakes hold 'em book, can already beat a low-limit game, or is already putting study into hold 'em by reading these forums.

Everything I've been told by Ed leads me to believe this is a book for complete beginners- for people who don't know much more than a flush beats a straight.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't you already gotten started in hold 'em?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. But I've regressed.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also,

1) I have several friends who might benefit from it.

2) I wouldn't mind seeing what my favorite poker author has been up to instead of posting.

3) Dynasty doesn't post strategy anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[I did see your recent post in micro and saw where you said you were going to post poker again. Cool!]
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 PM

Sorry Dynasty... these last few weeks have been the busiest of my life.

Getting Started in Hold 'em presupposes zero knowledge about poker, but a little familiarity (watched it on TV, played home games, etc.) is helpful and expected of the majority of my audience.

It's not a playing manual like WLLH or SSH is... that is, it doesn't have a lot of, "If this happens, do this. If that happens, do that."

The limit section is based around a series of nine example hands where I and the reader play together. As concepts like value betting, pot odds, pot equity, and so forth arise during the examples, I explain them. It's a "learn a little as you go" type thing rather than a "Ok, I'm going to teach you to play," thing.

After reading the book a couple of times, the reader should have a basic familiarity with hold 'em, know that playing tight is fundamentally important, and understand (at least conceptually) the underlying principles. Also, the reader should be ready to move on to SSH.

There's no book out quite like it, and I hope that the format works as well as I believe it will.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've been told by Ed leads me to believe this is a book for complete beginners- for people who don't know much more than a flush beats a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-oh, now THAT explains a lot... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]