Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Re: What to do on the river ...

yyyyyyyaaaaaaaawn.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:13 AM

I assume your question is about the tricky river play. You didn't give any reads so I'll describe what I think you should do against a good player, which is, bet most of the time, but check, intending to raise, sometimes, ie:

{-, 20, 80}

If he 3-bets, which won't happen often, that would be bad. There's some chance he's been slowplaying a hand like KK, but not too much. Most of the time, it's an 8. With the pot this big though, if he does 3-bet, I'd never cap, and fold just often enough that he can't make any money trying to run me off my hand when it goes down this way. Perhaps:

{10, 90, 0}

good luck.
eric
Old 11-19-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume your question is about the tricky river play. You didn't give any reads so I'll describe what I think you should do against a good player, which is, bet most of the time, but check, intending to raise, sometimes, ie:

{-, 20, 80}

If he 3-bets, which won't happen often, that would be bad. There's some chance he's been slowplaying a hand like KK, but not too much. Most of the time, it's an 8. With the pot this big though, if he does 3-bet, I'd never cap, and fold just often enough that he can't make any money trying to run me off my hand when it goes down this way. Perhaps:

{10, 90, 0}

good luck.
eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't give reads because I had none. He'd sat down about 5 mins before this and I'd not seen him before. Should have mentioned that.

You know, when I initially checked, I was planning to check call, thinking that the 8 might have hit him and I'd induce a bluff if it did not. But when he bet, I thought through his play and figured the likelihood of him having an 8 was quite low given the action. However, since I had no reads, I still am not sure about the raise, since he could be just a loose passive who doesn't raise top pair on the flop against an "obvious" ak.