Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Is High limit NL hold\'em only for the elite of the elite ?

Daniel Negreanu has 4 posts.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM

raymer is everything moneymaker is not

aside from skinny
Old 05-06-2005, 03:18 PM

True.
He's twice the player Moneymaker is... in every semantic meaning of the phrase.....
Old 05-06-2005, 03:25 PM

personally, i have always felt that bluffing in small pots is very helpful to winning in NLHE games. i dont know what your definition of bluffing is tho. can you elaborate? how often do you semi bluff? do you ever stab at small pots on the flop with nothing? what do you consider a 'bluff'? when you say you 'never bluff' are you saying you never stab, or you just never fire out 70% of your stack on the turn with absolutely nothing? for example, if you have raised preflop with TT and the flop is Q X X, do you consider a bet in this spot a bluff or not? what if you held AK?

also, one of the biggest things that prevents players from playing in larger games is bankroll size. sounds like you have a BR of between 5-10K, so you can definetly play in some NL400
Old 05-06-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel Negreanu has 4 posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting...where are these?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 PM

First of all , most people here wouldnt call $200 NL, high stakes. And by no means do you need to be the "elite of the elite" to play it.

I remember when I first started playing $200NL. I was intimidated and thought these guys must be really good. Well, at that point they mightve been better then me but they werent the "elite of the elite" my any stretch.

Now when I play $200NL, I literally laugh out loud at the horrendous plays I see. The point is that its all relative. I am much better than 90% of the players I see at $200NL. Its all relative.
Ive gotten much better than I was back then and you will get better as you play also.

There are very few really good players playing those stakes. I still play at that level because the risk/reward ratio is very high. Ive had 1 losing week this year. The stress level is much lower than when I play $400NL and $1000NL.

Most guys who have gotten pretty good wont stay at those stakes, they will move up, which is why the players in the middle stakes are rarely great players.

They may or may not be better than you at this point. You wont know until you put in some real time in the games.

But if you lose at first, as I did, theres no shame in moving back down for a while.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 PM

$200 NL is insanely soft.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all , most people here wouldnt call $200 NL, high stakes. And by no means do you need to be the "elite of the elite" to play it.

I remember when I first started playing $200NL. I was intimidated and thought these guys must be really good. Well, at that point they mightve been better then me but they werent the "elite of the elite" my any stretch.

Now when I play $200NL, I literally laugh out loud at the horrendous plays I see. The point is that its all relative. I am much better than 90% of the players I see at $200NL. Its all relative.
Ive gotten much better than I was back then and you will get better as you play also.

There are very few really good players playing those stakes. I still play at that level because the risk/reward ratio is very high. Ive had 1 losing week this year. The stress level is much lower than when I play $400NL and $1000NL.

Most guys who have gotten pretty good wont stay at those stakes, they will move up, which is why the players in the middle stakes are rarely great players.

They may or may not be better than you at this point. You wont know until you put in some real time in the games.

But if you lose at first, as I did, theres no shame in moving back down for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good advice. Also, you could start your own website like this guy.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think Greg Raymer or Chris Moneymaker spend a lot of time on this forum ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-06-2005, 07:23 PM

The biggest key is to just move up one level at a time.

There will be a slight adjustment period for each level, but soon enough you will be crushing the games.

Check these forums a lot too. You can learn about some nuances of each level the easy way (instead of the hard way, through experience.)
Closed Thread