Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Expert play revealed (low content)

For those of us who are struggling to improve our winrate from 3.023BB/100 to 3.025BB/100, we should consider adding the following expert play into our games: the UTG steal-raise.

Notice that this is not advisable except in the most favorable game conditions. I chose to employ it here because my hand was obviously weak and "never wins." When you hold a hand that "never wins" you will vastly improve your game by going for this play.

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 0.75 BB

As you can see, this play, when properly applied, will net the expert countless bets over the long run.
bk
Old 01-04-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Expert play revealed (low content)

[ QUOTE ]
For those of us who are struggling to improve our winrate...Ultimate Bet...blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the answer to your quest lies in your own post...
Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM

I knew that was coming [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gotta clear this bonus and I'm history

UB's game conditions clearly make a play like the UTG steal-raise worth while.
bk
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM

This really ought to be posted in poker theory. The kind of meta-game thinking you're applying here is like on the 20th level. I'm not sure I entirely grasp the concept, and it could be dangerous to some peoples games to add this kind of play too early in their poker carreer.

-Jaran
Old 01-04-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it could be dangerous to some peoples games to add this kind of play too early in their poker carreer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your concern. I was initially worried that this concept would be dangerous, however I feel that the community as a whole benefits from its being public.
bk
Old 01-04-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your concern. I was initially worried that this concept would be dangerous, however I feel that the community as a whole benefits from its being public.
bk

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you really feel we could benifit, maybe we should discuss how weak a hand you should make this play with. For instance, do you consider AKo too weak?

-Jaran
Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 PM

I have applied this strategy numerous times at Absolute.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Typically AKo is weak enough to show a profit here. I would recommend making a judgement based on how much variance you can tolerate.

Jaran, are you interested in authoring a secondary post entitled "flopping a straight flush"? Your experience and insight could bring a lot to this important topic-- i feel that mastering it would improve everyone's game.
bk
Old 01-04-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jaran, are you interested in authoring a secondary post entitled "flopping a straight flush"? Your experience and insight could bring a lot to this important topic-- i feel that mastering it would improve everyone's game.
bk

[/ QUOTE ]

You flatter me, sir. I would be willing to contribute my meager knowledge to such a discussion, but it would be much more valuable to have contributions from some other posters, such as Trix or stheif.

-Jaran
Old 01-04-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bk

[/ QUOTE ]

You flatter me, sir. I would be willing to contribute my meager knowledge to such a discussion, but it would be much more valuable to have contributions from some other posters, such as Trix or stheif.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys should collaborate on an article for the next issue of the 2+2 mag [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]