Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: KQ makes trips. Fold to obvious AK?

Would he be playing like this with AA-TT? I would be dying for a showdown.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you only calling this turn HU? I would think a turn raise here would be just as juicy as the 3-way raise in this example?

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiway, BB will not always bet the river if he holds a worse hand. Heads up, he is likely to bet the river anyway and we can raise him there, which has some benefits including the fact we are less likely to be 3-bet by AK (though perhaps not less likely). In addition, 3 ways we have the limper, who is almost certainly donating money to the pot at this point, giving us an overlay on an immediate 3-bet, and we will not get this overlay on the river if he misses or if his "two pair draw" doesn't get there.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:15 PM

O.K. I goofed by forgetting to consider my outs to split. So I was wrong in saying I should fold.

I didn't raise the flop because I figured he could easily have AA or AK, and if he did I would be spewing. Also, If he had QQ-TT, I didn't want to give him any info, so I didn't see any benefit to rasing here.

I raised the turn because when the 2nd K came, I wasn't afraid of AA anymore, and the chance he had a K was reduced. But when he 3-bet, I knew he had AK. I just couldn't think of any hand he would 3-bet pre-flop and on the turn with besides that. 3-betting AA or QQ would, in my opinion, be very LAGy, and this guy was no LAG (more of a calling station).

But even though I knew I was beat, I couldn't bring myself to throw my trips away. I called down, he showed AK, and I felt like a fish.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:22 PM

Trips = Showdown. It doesn't matter how you get there, just get there some way or another. Simple as that.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But even though I knew ?I was beat, I couldn't bring myself to trow my trips away. I called down, he showed AK, and I felt like a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
^
^
^
Results oriented. Feel good every time you call this down, more so than not, they DONT have AK, or a hand that beats you, even calling stations can surprise you sometimes
Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But even though I knew ?I was beat, I couldn't bring myself to trow my trips away. I called down, he showed AK, and I felt like a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

chop, you've got to think back VERY carefully...did you really KNOW you were beat? Because, if you did, you should be playing roulette.

I can see any king being played like this, in addition to the bigger pocket pairs. Just because you didn't catch your outs to a chop or a win doesn't mean you shouldn't draw to them and doesn't mean that in drawing to them you played the hand foolishly. And, how stupid would you feel if you didn't raise this hand anywhere and he showed you QQ at the end?

You're not a fish. Uh, wait, the way you played this hand isn't evidence that you're a fish...yeah, that's better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise the flop because I figured he could easily have AA or AK

[/ QUOTE ]
MUBS

[ QUOTE ]
when the 2nd K came, I wasn't afraid of AA anymore, and the chance he had a K was reduced. But when he 3-bet, I knew he had AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

MUBS

[ QUOTE ]
But even though I knew I was beat, I couldn't bring myself to trow my trips away. I called down, he showed AK, and I felt like a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew what he had, why did you call? You made a HUGE mistake according to Sklansky's Fundamental TOP. You knew what he had, and yet, your decisions thereafter were all incorrect. You allowed your emotions to decide your play. You "knew" what he had, but didn't want to "feel" like a sucker and fold the best hand. You "felt" like a fish at the end of the hand. One last thing, as if to wound you further [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Don't think other people play like you. At especially at the low limits, they will play much worse than you and make more mistakes than you.

*MUBS=monsters under the bed
Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Well, when a calling station 3-bets from the blind, I think it's time to start thinking there might really be a monster, and maybe not under the bed.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:56 PM

There is a fine line between a read and a gut-feeling. From what I gather here "reads" for online play refer to stats/tendencies of players, not usually, "the guy was punching bet/raise" as fast as possible. Sometimes the gut is right, and it is a read. However, gut feelings are not as realistic in online play.

At a B&M hand, there were 2 limpers to me on the button, and I raise with TT. SB folds and BB 3-bets. call, call, I call. Flop is Kxx. BB bets out, and I can totally read this guy for AK or KK. I folded, and after the fish stayed in and the hand ended, he showed KK. In an online game, I would not pick this read up, and would probably raise this flop, and then I'd be folding to a 3-bet.