Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Alternative Proposal

Hey all,

Not to belittle the effort of chuddo et al., but this thing seems to be going nowhere fast. So, let me step in with a new proposal that incorporates some of the ideas tossed around in this thread:

Bracket Structure

There is no way that we are going to get exactly 32 people, so in order to keep from having to turn too many people away, I propose a two-tier buy-in system. People who want to buy-in for $2,000 get a first round "bye," while other people who buy-in for $1,000 participate in play-in games. So, if we have 40 people interested, 24 people put up $2,000, 16 people put up $1,000, with 8 of those 16 people advancing to the round of 32 (24 + 8 = 32). From that point, it plays like a normal single elimination tournament. This will also let some good players participate if they don't want to pony up a full buy-in.

Payout

The payout will be incremental as proposed by KKF. So, if we have 40 people:

17-40: lose buy-in
9-16: break even
5-8: win $2,000
3-4: win $4,000
2: win $6,000
1: win $10,000

It seems like people prefer KKF's original flat payout structure to the top-heavy structure proposed by chuddo. Also, this eliminates the need for any of the escrowing that has people worried; people just settle up $2,000 at a time after each match.

Match Structure

Matches will take place on Stars .01/.02 HU tables (if such a thing exists; I didn't know about them until this thread). This has two benefits. First, no rake. Second, the rebuy trick on Stars will let the match play deeper.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE ONLY POINT OPEN TO SUGGESTION: Each player starts with 200 BB and MUST reload once falling below 100 BB. First player to win 300 BB from his opponent is the winner. Note that such a match is not a freezeout.

If HU tables do not exist, we could even just "take over" a full .01/.02 table and have the seven 2+2 observers just sit out. Possibly difficult, but doable.

Organizer

I will organize and run the above tournament for $50 per player (edit: this was the figure quoted elsewhere in this thread as a reasonable fee).

ML4L
Old 11-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: MHNL Heads-Up Invitational I - Registration

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. I'm in
2. I too think the money should just be transferred in chunks
3. maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know if you guys realize how long it could take to play a 300-500BB HU match.....I remember last year we were at the Wynn, and Matt played some dude HU for $6k each and they jacked the blinds up to like 25/50 and it still took like 4-5 hours of them battling before they decided to just quit.....

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite was when I potted the AKQJT no flush board and he folded. I got caught twice with good against huge and then had to battle back repeatedly. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also much prefer to play a 100bb match instead, I have another question though, is the rake at 50NL a factor in eating up the stacks you are playing with?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:36 PM

I'm in.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM

to those that PM'd me and others that are interested:

i am no longer going to be in charge of setting this up and running it. i was afraid it would be a pain with getting the money escrowed properly, and that turned out to be the case. some people are not as trusting as i myself am.

however there has clearly been a large amount of support for this type of tourney to go down, so there will always be enough players to fill 32 spots, providing someone gets the logistics worked out sufficient to everyone interested.

i hope someone or a group does come through with wanting to deal with everything, as it should be a good time and interesting to sweat all the matches as the tourney progresses.

in the event no one else manages to get everything running and it all falls through, then in about two weeks i will make the same proposal, and those that still want to play and entrust me with handling everything can at that time. will be at least 16 people in that, and hopefully again 32.

*a note to the issue of rake cutting into all of the BB's in play: this can be resolved by simply upping the amount of BB's that can be rebought in for. instead of say 300, it can be 340, to make effective proper stacks post-rake.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Alternative Proposal

[ QUOTE ]

I will organize and run the above tournament for $50 per player.

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you providing the beer?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If HU tables do not exist, we could even just "take over" a full .01/.02 table and have the seven 2+2 observers just sit out. Possibly difficult, but doable.

[/ QUOTE ]

We tried doing this for the SSNL one but the blinds do not end up in the right place at the full tables even if all but 2 people are sitting out.

Also, the .01/.02 NL on Stars does have rake if the pot is over some threshold ($1 maybe?) so its not totally free. On the plus side, you can buy in for 250BB on those tables so there's less hassle with the rebuys. On the minus side, it can be a real pain in the ass to get both participants on the table at once as there are a limited number of tables and they're often all full during prime time.

If you do it on UB, the problem will be that nobody participating has probably ever used their play money and you only get 1000 play money chips when you sign up so 300BB are not available.

I am both too poor and too sucky to participate but thought you might as well learn from the failed version SSNL tried to have.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
er, cough, are there no sites that have play money hu nl?

c

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is the way to go. I hate playing at tables where you have to type the decimal before every bet.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like people prefer KKF's original flat payout structure to the top-heavy structure proposed by chuddo. Also, this eliminates the need for any of the escrowing that has people worried; people just settle up $2,000 at a time after each match.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent suggestion. Also, I think we should definitely use the .01/.02 NL tables on Stars. These would have two benefits.

1) There is no rake.

2) You are allowed to buy-in for $5 (250BBs). We can then either allow a 50BB rebuy each or just limit the matches to the 250BBs.

Using the .25/.50 NL tables on UB is just silly as they have offer no advantage over the Stars tables, there are less of them, and you can only buy-in for 100BBs.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I will organize and run the above tournament for $50 per player.

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you providing the beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy to buy a couple rounds at the WSOP next year...

The $50 per person was the figure quoted elsewhere in the thread.

Mike
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM

yeah the stars tables would work better for those reasons.

i only chose to avoid them because it is a huge pain to get seated at them. i have tried to screw around with friends on there, and there are 5 tables that are almost always full. with waiting lists. and with people sitting out at the tables that do not get kicked off the table for like 15 mins.

the no rake/ buyin for 250 is more attractive, but be prepared to get frustrated at getting seated.