Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:36 PM

Default ($60) Call this ITM resteal?

Stars $60 turbo. Best read I can give is that we both view the other as strong players. This is the first ITM hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200, Ante is 25 (3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t3790)
Button (t2320)
Hero (t7390)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t3765</font>, Hero ????
Old 11-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: ($60) Call this ITM resteal?

i'm letting it go. his stack can do damage to you, and even though his bet could be a resteal with air, he also might have you dominated.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm letting it go. his stack can do damage to you, and even though his bet could be a resteal with air, he also might have you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has 44 this is a clear call. If he has KQ this is a clear call. And I don't even need to mention A2-A7.

Sure, a lot of hands have me dominated, but I dominate a lot of other hands and there is plenty of dead money for me to take a flip with.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:46 PM

I don't.

Haven't run any numbers but he's going to have to be restealing alot for this to be +EV. It's one of those spots where you're like, damn, I wish he knew how strong I was, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Eww. Who's calling here?

You don't really "dominate" anything. 44 is ahead of you, KQ is only very slightly behind and A2-A7 will often chop with you.

On the other hand, any hand 88+ and A9+ has you stomped, and these are the hands he's most likely to have. Unless you know this guy will do this with a whole lot of stuff, let it go.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eww. Who's calling here?

You don't really "dominate" anything. 44 is ahead of you, KQ is only very slightly behind and A2-A7 will often chop with you.

On the other hand, any hand 88+ and A9+ has you stomped, and these are the hands he's most likely to have. Unless you know this guy will do this with a whole lot of stuff, let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's think about this another way. What is your raise range here, and what is your call range? If they're that far apart, what would a strong player correctly push with here?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:11 PM

I dont think a call is bad at all, because of the range you gave and you could just be restealing like you said. He could just be thinking you were trying to steal his blind which makes the potential range huge.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:15 PM

This is break-even somewhere around top 25% for villain (I'm fudging some numbers with SNGPT to adjust for the way the action went, but that's pretty close). I'd be hard pressed to put villain on that wide a range here. The average range in SNGPT (44+, A7s+, A9o+, KJs+) makes it about -2%, and I don't know if that's really tight enough (I'd probably want a bigger pair than 44 and wouldn't go with Kx in his shoes, though I might call a raise with more hands than that). The push feels like a medium pair or marginal to big ace that doesn't want to be pushed off post-flop, to me.

FWIW, SNGPT indicates calling is -EV when villain has a PP&lt;88 (well, except for 22 which is break-even), presumably because you're already well positioned for 1st, and the extra chips you get when you win an all-in showdown here aren't changing things nearly as much as the chips you stand to lose.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 PM

I think folding 77 or 88 here would be horrible.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think folding 77 or 88 here would be horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify (in case this is in reference to my post) the numbers I plugged into SNGPT yield negative EV for Hero's calling the all-in for all cases where villain is holding a PP (except 22). I mentioned it because I thought Hero had indicated that calling was clearly correct if you knew villain had 44.

Edited the original post to clarify this point.