Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Default VARIANCE at Party $50NL SH?

hello everyone-

i moved up to $50 nl sh at party about 2 months ago and over my first 50k hands i've been up 12 ptbb/100 (not sure if i've been running good, but i think this is an attainable long-term winrate given the quality of play here). since last night, over ~3k hands, i've dropped 12 buy-ins.

now this isn't a bitch post, and here's where i could use some advice. i usually pick tables based on avg pot size, selecting only the tables with the biggest avg pots ($20+) at this level. recently it's occurred to me that there are at least 2 lag maniacs at each table i sit down at though, particulary at night when they're probably drunk which exacerbates the situation. i realize that in the long-run this is a great position for me to be in, but it just seems like in the short-run this can make the variance obscene. i also like to use position and bluff with my overs with about a 60-70% pot size bet if it gets checked to me and while this works at tables with smaller pot sizes, it just seems like chip-spewing at these tables where someone will call regardless.

i'm looking for more of a slow and steady income (it's a supplement for me since i'm a college student) and i'm think ing the variance at these tables might just be too much. i'm thinking of limiting my play to tables with avg pot sizes between $10-13 so i can hopefully match up against a bunch of lp's rather than all maniacs. i can handle one lag, it just seems like 2 at a sh nl table might be too much. if anyone has any advice on my plan or could share their own experiences with variance at this level i would really appreciate it. thank you!