Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2003, 01:04 AM

Default We all paired our door-cards

This is 1/2 Stud on Partypoker. There's a $.25 ante and the bringin is $.50 . 6-handed.

I have (3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. A deuce brings it in, I complete, and a Jack and an Ace call.

These players may have anything, they will play pretty much anything.

On 4th street I catch a 6, the Jack gets a 7 and the Ace gets a suited T. Checked through on 4th.

5th street: We all pair our door-card. I have trip-treys, and the Aces bet, the Jacks and I both call.

Do I need to raise it up, since I *know* I have trips, but they probably don't (since they didn't bet on 4th street)?

6th street, same thing: Aces bet, Jacks and I call.
River: I fill. The Aces check, the Jacks bet. I raise, the Aces fold and the Jacks call.

Thinking about what I did, I believe I should have jammed the pot when I made trips, since I was probably ahead with them drawing thin. Is this true?
Old 08-16-2003, 02:16 AM

Default Re: We all paired our door-cards

I have (3 Q )3 . A deuce brings it in, I complete, and a Jack and an Ace call.

I don't think that was a good play. If your kicker isn't an Ace or a King it's not that strong, and with an ace behind you, the ace could reraise you, so I think you should have folded. If on the other hand, your queen was up, and it was the highest card on board, then I think a raise would have been the right play. I also note that your hand didn't contain a two flush.

Do I need to raise it up, since I *know* I have trips, but they probably don't (since they didn't bet on 4th street)?

I think that would have been a good play. Also, with the high ante and bring in, fast aggressive play is called for. The book "The Theory of Poker"(Sklansky) discusses ante structure and its effect on play if you are interested in reading about it, and other useful topics. It's generally hailed as one of the best, if not the best poker book.

6th street, same thing: Aces bet, Jacks and I call.
River: I fill. The Aces check, the Jacks bet. I raise, the Aces fold and the Jacks call.

Since the Jacks only called, I assume you won the hand.

I believe I should have jammed the pot when I made trips, since I was probably ahead with them drawing thin. Is this true?

Not as a general principle, but in your case: yes. The advice is usually to play small trips fast since they can get beaten by not only flushes and straights, but also higher pairs that catch trips.

Generally, if you are way ahead and your opponents are drawing thin, you don't necessarily want to bet and risk everyone folding--in that case slow playing might be the right play if certain conditions are met. ("The Theory of Poker" has a section on Slowplaying).

Old 08-16-2003, 02:49 AM

7stud: Yes, I won the hand. Thanks for your suggestions. I agree with you about 3rd. street.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Congratulations,Kevin! Some ideas on slow playing...

a small/medium set or not--If the pot is small,gamble a little more and slow-play if U think that aggressiveness will force your opponents to fold when u really do not want them to fold when the pot is small.
However,if there is sufficient dead money in the pot,play your set aggressively.At this limit,most of the other players will continue playing anyway.
Happypokering,
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]God bless u..
SittingBull
Old 08-21-2003, 09:55 AM

I would probably limp on third street unless I thought that there was a good chance that the bet would be completed behind me. I wouldn't complete unless I thought that there was an excellent chance that I would steal the antes. Since there were at least a couple of high cards behind you, and this is microlimit after all, I don't think that you had much of a chance to steal at all.

Checking fourth is fine. I would definitely raise on fifth. It is extremely likely that you have the best hand and that you will get paid. On the river, I would at least consider going for the overcall.