Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Easy hand?

5-10. CO limps, I raise 66 on button, SB threebets and CO calls, I cap. Three to the flop.

Flop: 943 w/ two hearts (I have no heart)

SB bets, CO calls, I raise, SB threebets, CO calls, I call.

Turn: (9) 943

SB bets, CO calls, I raise, SB threebets, everyone folds.

-Michael
Old 01-30-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Easy hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's much benefit to that. Keep the pot smaller and see what the flop brings...

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (9) 943

SB bets, CO calls, I raise, SB threebets, everyone folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth a stab, I'd probably play the flop and turn the same way (while having only called the 3-bet PF...getting to that more in a sec) though I think this turn raise is much, much, much more effective live than online since you aren't going to get too many pocket pairs to fold to your turn raise... Your turn raise would have had more credibility had you not capped preflop...meaning I think that you were probably spilling chips on the turn since you capped preflop. I would have used this guy's flop action and turn lead out after your cap to imply I'm beat and he's not going anywhere, so I'd fold and save money (the only benefit to the PF cap IMO).
Old 01-30-2005, 07:21 AM

I don't see the point of capping preflop. Maybe you thought it would give you fold equity on later streets, but when it's capped 3 ways there is enough in the pot that I think you'll have to showdown the best hand. By capping preflop you are giving them an invitation to the showdown.

The flop and turn look like chipspewing to me. At least you folded to the 3-bet on the turn.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:23 AM

There are some things I really like about capping. One of them is that your opponents' postflop play becomes much more predictable. But if it's going to be that way, it might help if I actually used that while playing the hand...

-Michael
Old 01-30-2005, 07:29 AM

I cannot fathom how this can even be entertained as being good poker. You know better than this.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:31 AM

Presumably your big problem is the turn?

-Michael
Old 01-30-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some things I really like about capping. One of them is that your opponents' postflop play becomes much more predictable. But if it's going to be that way, it might help if I actually used that while playing the hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some things I really like about capping. -Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually been giving some thought about capping more with less than premium hands (JJ+, AK, etc....) when I'm 3-bet preflop. My reasoning

1) It only costs 1 SB and they can't 5-bet me.
2) It gives me more folding equity postflop.
3) It will mask my hand when I do hold a big PP so I'm more likely to get better action with these hands.
4) As you said, it reveals your opponent's hand earlier, which means I can make better folding decisions postflop.

Any merit to this?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:37 AM

It's a give-and-take. You can represent a whole lot more when you don't cap, but when you do cap with a subpremium holding and hit, you get paid.

I like it better when its headsup and you raise from late position and get threebet by the SB, as this threebet is often rather weak and putting pressure on him puts him in a lot of awkward situations.

I'm a little messed up. I think I like capping with subpremium holdings better than doing it with solid hands.

-Michael
Old 01-30-2005, 07:51 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an [censored] but it bums me out so bad when I see a good player dumping tons of bets like this.

The preflop cap I think is OK, if, like you said, you put the information to good use. But the time to put that to use is on the flop. Peel one off getting 14:1 with your backdoor straight draw. That's it though no more. Call the flop, fold the turn. That's why you capped preflop so you could play it that way. Cap preflop, call the flop, fold the turn and I think you have hit on a really interesting way to play hands like 66 preflop. This chip dumping stuff though really hurts my heart.