Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: AA Flops Nut Flush Draw On Button

[ QUOTE ]
I think this concept is applied wayyy too often on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A check is awful because you now have to call your opponents down. You've taken your big hand, in position, with initiative, and given it over to your opponents. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking, but couldn't put it into a sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Same here, although I opted for the longwinded approach :P

Nonetheless the point remains that the combination of the facts that you have the ace of hearts, that the queen of hearts is on board, and that you made a sizeable raise before the flop leads to the very profitable consequence that your opponents have no idea where they are in this hand no matter what they're holding. If one of them has QQ, he has top set, but he doesn't know if someone has the flush. If someone else has 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for god-knows-what reason, he has the flush but doesn't know if someone else has a higher flush. Add to this the fact that you have an overpair and a draw to the nuts and you're in position and you have a situation where even if your opponents do have you beat, there's no way in hell theyre going to press you - grab this hand by the balls and bet to exploit your opponents' insecurity as to where they stand.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:35 AM

Why wouldn't you bet the flop here? Don't let the monotone color deceive you, you still have the nut overpair with a draw to the nuts. You know the warm tingly feeling when you hold A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ?? Same feeling here. The chances of a flopped flush are so tiny that you don't realistically worry about it until you take so much heat that it becomes obvious.

Bet the flop. Build a pot.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 AM

Default results

ok then, everyone says i should bet the flop

but for the record, i was not 'afraid' of a better hand, i was slowplaying

anyway, villian had 55
Old 05-07-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]

anyway, villian had 55

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about being scared. You gave up information aswell. Let's say you bet the flop.. he's defenitely going to raise you on this board with his set unless he's a superdonk. That'll tip you off as to his holdings as opposed to the way you played it where he can have anything and you're left in the dark. Lots of reasons to bet the flop. Lots, bud.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

anyway, villian had 55

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about being scared. You gave up information aswell. Let's say you bet the flop.. he's defenitely going to raise you on this board with his set unless he's a superdonk. That'll tip you off as to his holdings as opposed to the way you played it where he can have anything and you're left in the dark. Lots of reasons to bet the flop. Lots, bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way i could fold to him after i bet the flop

and for all you guys know there was a lone K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] lurking in other people's hands, and i gave them a chance to catch second best hand
Old 05-07-2005, 02:06 AM

I didn't say you could fold to him if you bet the flop. I said you'd have a better idea as to where you stand in the hand.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say you could fold to him if you bet the flop. I said you'd have a better idea as to where you stand in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

and i'm saying it doesn't matter what you've figured out about his hand if you're pot committed
Old 05-07-2005, 02:27 AM

1) That's not the only reason you'd be betting. It's one of many.

2) You're not pot committed after your flop bet. He could slowplay it, you could miss flush on turn, and he could jam. You could find a fold there.

3) I'm quite possibly the greatest NL player since the kid Ungar.