Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Default My calling-station play - should I raise this river?

Very new to the table (3rd hand), so 0 reads.

I think the flop call was OK since I had a gutshot and maybe one of my 5s were still okay. Also, I was contemplating a raise to try and push out the UTG and BB and hope my 5s hold up against UTG+1 ... but I can't see this being the right play.

THe turn call was a little more sketchy ... what do you guys think?

Also, should I raise this river? I figure he could be betting away with hands like AK, AJ, AQ, KQ as well a a pocket pair - if I raise he would fold any hand I am ahead of and re-raise with any hand that has me dominated.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB.

[i]External link removed

-Greg
Old 09-10-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: My calling-station play - should I raise this river?

You're only losing to a 6 or a pocket pair. Seems alright to me.

edit:Fold preflop
Old 09-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Yeah just call the river. I think you're probably behind most of the time. I think preflop is ok, you can expect this to be 5-6 handed at a typical .5/1 game. I am raising the flop 100% of the time though here. It is a big pot, you might have the best hand, and if not you have outs to improve. You have to knock else out.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah just call the river. I think you're probably behind most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two sentences together don't make much sense.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? In a big pot you don't need to win the pot very often for that call on the river to be right.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I would've folded pre-flop. I think the flop call is O.K. You're getting 10.5 to 1 with a 4 outer and you could still be ahead. A raise may have been a good idea, like you said to try to fold out the BB. Hopefully you'll get a free card. The turn call is bad IMO. With UTG+1 still showing strength multiway and a caller I think this is a fold here.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see, we have to be good 1/13 times to make a river call profitable. We have to be good &gt;50% of the time to make a river raise profitable. I think that makes sense.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM

I dont think that you really had the odds you needed to cold call the preflop raise, but then the hand became interesting after the flop.

I think on the flop that all of your 6 outs were likely to be good. I think I prefer the line that you chose of calling the flop bet receiving over 12:1 pot odds to raising.

Raising would likely have made the pot 3-handed. However you could have been behind to an overpair by UTG or a higher pair by MP1. Calling the flop bet seemed to offer more value against more opponents if you improved your hand.

I agree with your turn call. You could have behind to trip 7's, but again you had 6 outs to improve to probably the best hand in a big pot.

Finally I think your analysis of your situation on the river was sound. You were unlikely to be called by a worse hand from UTG if you raised. So I think that your river call was best.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising would likely have made the pot 3-handed. However you could have been behind to an overpair by UTG or a higher pair by MP1. Calling the flop bet seemed to offer more value against more opponents if you improved your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think a raise is better. This is a perfect flop for you. You need to protect your hand which has a decent hand of being best right now. Raising likely pushes out overcards if you are ahead, and 5's and 4's if you are behind. Both are really good things. If you get 3-bet by an overpair so what, you get that bet back by not having to call on the river.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Raise the turn or fold