Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

I also can't believe how poor service can be.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:05 PM

I do my bit. 20% of average service 25% for good service and 30% for excellent service. If the service is terrible I won't tip.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what should you do about crap service?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should leave a small tip, so there is no question about whether you just forgot the tip.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Yes and we're all really impressed. I'm sure you've got the most flair out of all the applebee's servers and you've been employee of the month since july.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, you sure told me. Considering I know servers making 20%+ on a daily basis, I'm not the "shining star" of my restaurant. I'm simply pointing out that I'm not half bad at what I do. Say, what's your ROI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently high enough that he doesn't have to go to work at Appleby's to pay his bills.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Sometimes I've had to sneak extra money onto the table when I've been with someone who has left a poor tip.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Default you\'re whacked

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't excuse you from being courteous to the person that catered to your every whim during your dinner. When I'm at work, I'm doing you a service, so I expect to get fairly compensated for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you're out of your mind! It's you're freakin' JOB to cater to my every whim. If you don't get fairly compensated by the person you work for, NOT MY PROBLEM. I will tip when and where I want - not because you say I have to.

You're not entitled to a tip just because you're a server. So get over it and either realize that sometimes you are going to get stiffed, or GET OUT OF THE SERVICE INDUSTRY.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, in your op you stated you expect compensation whether you provide good service or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being realistic here. Since you've done this job, what was the usual tip if you didn't do such a hot job on a table for one reason or another? For me, it's somewhere around 10%. Most servers where I work would agree.

Also, when I say "a not so hot job," I don't mean disappearing into the kitchen for an hour and a half while they try to track me down to get refills. No, I mean getting refills a little late, forgetting about something like tabasco sauce, etc. The former server probably doesn't deserve to get fairly compensated, considering he's not even doing his job. If I AM doing my job, then I do expect to make some money on a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got serious problems when it comes to feeling entitled.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. Again, it ain't my fault you make $2.13 an hour. How is it my problem? As Mr.Pink once said, "You don't feel it necessary to tip the servers at McDonalds, do you?" Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

the "servers" at McDonald's receive at least the minimum wage, don't come to your table and bring you more food, refill your drinks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know - and again - NOT MY PROBLEM.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Default NIMROD

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why servers, people with no skills and no degree think they deserve to make $20+ dollars an hour. Then they bitch all the time! Ohhhh that table made me fill their water aahhhh they were mad their food was cold.

Allow me to quote a great song "get a hair cut and get a real job"

Yes I do tip. But only female waitresses. I don't want some dude serving me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read this entire thread (74 new posts since I went to sleep last night), and this was the only post that pissed me off.

Really, "people with no skills and no degree"? Well, let me fill you in then. My qualifications:

-Bachelor of Science: Aeronautical Science
-Commercial Pilot: Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
-Flight Instructor: Airplane Single and Multiengine, Instrument Airplane

Good enough skills for ya? Oh yeah, there's a degree there too. I work with at least 2 other people with the same qualifications that I have. Another server has a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics. Yep, we're all idiots.

[censored] tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

with all those freakin' skills and education, GO GET A REAL JOB AND STOP WHINING ABOUT TIPS, YOU FREAKIN' NUMBSKULL.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: you\'re whacked

[ QUOTE ]
You're not entitled to a tip just because you're a server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why does the federal government allow restaurants to pay their waitstaff $2.13/hr? Because I'm classified as a tipped employee. In this state, that's $3.02 below minimum wage for non-tipped employees.

If I didn't expect to make any tips "just because I'm a server," my restaurant would pay me much more per hour, and the government would make my $2.13/hr illegal.