Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The advice presented in small stakes tends to be too:
Passive 8 13.56%
Aggressive 51 86.44%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2005, 02:19 AM

Default 5-10 NL Hand at the Wynn

A hand came up at the Wynn I'd like to get some votes and opinions on.

The game is 5-10 NL, and you have ~$1300 in front of you. The game has been pretty standard mix of loose/decent play preflop, bet/takedown flop, and is 8 handed at the moment. The player 2 to your right opens in mid position for $40. You smooth call to try to trap with QQ. Folded around to the BB, who raises it to $120 after about 20 seconds of deliberation. Mid position opener thinks for about a minute before calling, and you decide to raise it an additional $400. The BB, a younger looking player who has yet to show down a hand, has been playing for about an hour, has been talking genially with others at the table, and seems to have at least a decent idea of how to play, looks a bit concerned, but after about 30 seconds, decides to go all in for 610 more on top of your $520 total in. The MP player folds quickly, and it is up to you. The pot now has $1775 in it, and it is $610 to call. What do you do, and what is your thought process?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: 5-10 NL Hand at the Wynn

i think you should prob call getting 3:1 if there is any this guy will go allin with AK, and alot of ppl will... its a metagame disaster to fold here and you are only 4:1 dog against AA/KK... your orignal raise to 560 or whatever is quite bad... you will almost never get action from hands you beat if you are not playing with complete retards. calling is ok... against many players folding is the best.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:29 AM

Its too bad that MP didn't call so you could say "ok, you kids play yer silly games with AA vs KK"
Old 06-08-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its too bad that MP didn't call so you could say "ok, you kids play yer silly games with AA vs KK"

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche'

Although, they weren't miniraises.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:57 AM

to him your hand looks like possible aces, but he can't fold his kings anyway and decides to go ahead and get it in there hoping you have AKs or QQ.

the question is whether or not you go ahead and call here getting 3:1 when a 4:1 dog probably 90% of the time. it does look pretty bad for metagame if you plan on sticking around longer.

i would probably say F it and call. then when the kid asks you "Aces?" you can tell him 'yes' to crush his spirit before telling him his hand is good to make his night.

i also hope MP opener wasn't holding both of my outs.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:21 AM

i'm just wondering, why did you reraise? you must have had some sort of read on him or some instinct that convinced you that this was an optimal play...
but in answer to your question, am i the only one who prefers folding? i feel like you're undoubtedly beat, which means you dont have the odds...how does it help his image to call here?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 AM

why did this hand not make it to a flop?

fim
Old 06-08-2005, 05:13 AM

This hand makes me want to vomit. What are you trying to accomplish with your reraise. Worse hands fold, better hands call. Right? On the river I'd have to be getting damn close to 5.5:1 to call, and you arent anywhere close. Congrats on putting in 1/4 of your stack and not seeing a flop. Get a better plan next time (call/call works fine here)

-Jason
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 AM

Off the top of my head BB would have to have AK 30% of the time to make this worth calling.

Its pretty hard to believe he has AK that much here, since you think hes not a donkey.

It looks like you're losing about $100 if you call, but its probably worth it to get labelled as an action player who completely overplayed his hand.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:22 AM

Way to trap yourself.