Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Good Flop/Bad Flop (99)

Well, like yourself, Astroglide, and Swiss, I also felt re-raising was best for the reasons you all stated. But I'm still not sure. The button called two cold, and the bb called. The turn was a 5 for 764-5. The bb checked to me. What should I do now?
Old 02-07-2004, 11:52 AM

hi kevin
check it behind. he has a one card straight and you're hand has a slim chance to improve. the only reason to bet is to get rid of him, but that won't happen here. it looks like he's afraid of the straight, but what's going on is that he has you on weak over-cards and doesn't see any risk of your hand improving. and some player, even heads-up, rarely push their one card completed straights. he could have a low straight, and there is a possibility that he has the nuts. his read that you have weak overs tells him that a bet into doesn't accomplish a whole lot. and by the way, this player is good, or at least this hand is developing on paper with a smart, good player in the blind. check and hope you can counterfeit or improve.

now kevin, you probably will really think this sounds crazy, but your best play on the turn may be to fold when checked to. yes, i said it. not an over-sight. why fold? because every card in the deck that comes off now can make things worse for you against this type player. it's a rare lead me not into temptation' fold. it has merit kevin.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:37 PM

The 5 is a bad card. He could have checkraised the flop with a pair and gutshot, so I think there is decent chance he either made two pair or a straight. The aurgument for betting would be that your hand is vunerable, and giving a free card could kill you. The downside to betting is that there is a decent chance he will checkraise you with this board. If he made two pair, and decided to check raise, he might get you to lay down your hand even though you would have proper odds to continue. But if he would need a set or a straight to checkraise the turn, I think betting would be OK because you wouldnt have to worry about him getting you off hand you are suppose to call with. I think I would close my eyes and bet, but this one is really close. I hope he flopped top pair with a nice big kicker.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all your input. The bottom line is that aside for pre-flop, nothing is really clear about this hand.

I bet the turn for the same reasons you indicated. While the bb might certainly bet a pair with a gutshot on the flop, I didn't think he would check/raise with this hand after the button calls. Also...

a). The 5 was a gutshot card, b). I might make the best str8 if an 8 comes, and c). I felt my hand was extremely vulnerable.

The button raised my bet and the bb cold-called. Now even though an 8 on the river figures to give me the best str8 (since I held two of the nines), there was little doubt some of the remaining eights were tied up in my opponent's hands. I had little choice but to fold.

RESULT: The bb flopped it with 85. The all-in player had A8, and the button had 86s for a 3-way chop.

I suspected that I played this hand rather sloppily. In fact, I've been told by a friend (a very good player whom I discuss a lot of poker with), that I played it downright "bad". But it was a tough hand to play from the flop on, and it's comforting to know that some of you would have at least considered some of the very same plays that I made. It's a hand I need to think more about. Thanks again for all your help. Take care.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:22 PM

Elysium-

You certainly have better instincts about this hand from wherever you are, than I did sitting at the table where it happened. (this guy's REAL good!)
Old 02-07-2004, 03:53 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

check the turn, and it's not even close. people will be very unlikely to call with weak pairs / overcards / etc, but they will now bet them on the river.