Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Could/Should have I played this differntly?

OK,so I am in a 7 player tourny. We started w/ $3,000 in chips and the blinds start at $25-$50. This is the 3rd hand of the tourny.

I am under the gun and see K-K. I raise to $600. The guy to my left raises to $1500. Everyone else folds and I move all in. He calls and shows A-A. I end up losing. My question is, I had assumed he had an Ace. Should I have just called and then hammer the flop if an Ace doesn't show? It did, and I busted out. Personally, I think I was pot committed once he raised me to $1500, but I am not sure. I may have folded once I saw that Ace, but I am not sure.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Could/Should have I played this differntly?

12x BB third hand? That's a really big raise...

Anyways, do you recall a movie called Rounders? In the heads-up match with Teddy KGB near the end? If not, it goes something like this:

"Teddy's representing Aces, the only hand better than my cowboys.I can't take a chance of calling and letting him catch. I have two choices, fold, if I believe him, or... I re-raise, I'm all in"

Yeah, it was a cooler, but still 12x BB is a really big raise IMO...
Old 10-16-2005, 03:07 AM

Well, raising to t600 with 25-50 blinds is something I don't generally do.

I 3-bet KK every single time here though.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
12x BB third hand? That's a really big raise...

Anyways, do you recall a movie called Rounders? In the heads-up match with Teddy KGB near the end? If not, it goes something like this:

"Teddy's representing Aces, the only hand better than my cowboys.I can't take a chance of calling and letting him catch. I have two choices, fold, if I believe him, or... I re-raise, I'm all in"

Yeah, it was a cooler, but still 12x BB is a really big raise IMO...

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised 8x the pot. I've played these guys before and the typical 3-5x raise doesn't work. If I raised $300, everyone would have called. When he re-raised me, I figured he had either A-A, A-K or A-Q. I thought, "Well, I beat 2 out of 3 possibilities." So I went all in. I am pretty sure if he had A-Q, he would have folded and called with the others. I don't think I made a mistake. Like you said, there was only one hand that had me beat. He had it,all right!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:30 AM

There are almost no opponents from whom a reraise in a 5-handed game means AA often enough to not try to get it all in preflop. In short, push in this spot every single time and you will make money. This post is almost a bad beat post.... You got unlucky but played it fine.