Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 AM

Default I don\'t know if I\'m good or not, can somebody help?

Ok, this may seem like a very weird post, but I'm really not sure if I'm good or just lucky.

First, let me start off that I'm primarily a MTT player, and have just began my journey into NL cash games (i tried limit, but it was too stressful)

Anyways, I have been playing the $500 NL at Paradise.

My cash game strategy is extremely different from my MTT strategy, and I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.

For example, in cash games i frequently call raises (not big ones, and usually when the pot is multi-way) with junk hands like 79s, J10s, that I would fold in a MTT. I also open with alot of hands like this. I don't do this with hands like K3o, or A4o though, only suited connectors/gappers, and sometimes offsuit.

Anyway, my thinking is that the implied odds from hitting with these hands are huge, and since i started NL cash games, I have been doing pretty decent.

I'm just not sure if my loose preflop standards are costing me money, and if I've been getting lucky lately or not.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: I don\'t know if I\'m good or not, can somebody help?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this may seem like a very weird post, but I'm really not sure if I'm good or just lucky.

First, let me start off that I'm primarily a MTT player, and have just began my journey into NL cash games (i tried limit, but it was too stressful)

Anyways, I have been playing the $500 NL at Paradise.

My cash game strategy is extremely different from my MTT strategy, and I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.

For example, in cash games i frequently call raises (not big ones, and usually when the pot is multi-way) with junk hands like 79s, J10s, that I would fold in a MTT. I also open with alot of hands like this. I don't do this with hands like K3o, or A4o though, only suited connectors/gappers, and sometimes offsuit.

Anyway, my thinking is that the implied odds from hitting with these hands are huge, and since i started NL cash games, I have been doing pretty decent.

I'm just not sure if my loose preflop standards are costing me money, and if I've been getting lucky lately or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

a 311 avatar? really?

fim
Old 08-11-2005, 06:01 AM

calling raises with those hands doesn't neccessarily make you a bad player, some people can do this correctly (not me),

in conclusion, i don't know if you are good or just lucky
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 AM

Against the right opponents, calling raises with suited connectors / marginal hands can have huge implied odds - such as against the guy who won't lay down overpairs.