Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Why do 2+2ers love to rip-up Sklansky?

I'm looking more so to have a discussion throughout this thread, then provide much information in my post, and do note that i am looking for psychological motivation here.

I think it is more than obvious that any time Sklansky posts, because of his lack of social skills or standards and his confidence (bridging on arrogance), posters love to eat him up. IMO, they sort of realize that they can't be too nice because that would be deamed as "sucking up" to the guy with the name in red. Also, it apperas as though they sort of want to wage war against his confidence, and try to bring him down. This is a very basic assessment and will discuss further with those who reply.

Thoughts and opinions?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Why do 2+2ers love to rip-up Sklansky?

If you take any large group of people (this board has how many thousands of members?) you will always get a few who either

a) like to randomly spout off insults

b) dislike the person (or, in this case, one of the persons) responsible for making the group possible

David's posts are oftentimes in your face but if you were able to talk to all of the thousands that read his work, and read Mason's work, and read all of the other 2+2 authors' works, you'd hear a HUGE majority are very appreciative of what they have contributed and what they continue to do.

Don't let a few vocal ne'er-do-wells give the impression that 2+2 is at all about ripping into David -- while he is a man of in-your-face opinions (some of which I don't agree with myself), he is still one of the main reasons many of us have made a tremendous amount of money, and if some people forget that from time to time, shame on them.

Even if I might disagree with him (or another member of the 2+2 hierarchy) from time to time, that never takes away from the fact that I am eternally grateful for discovering them and being a part of this community for the last year.

PLUS ... don't forget, some of the "rips" into David are simply good-natured ribbing meant to be fun and sarcastic and NOT mean-spirited.

But, no matter who the person or what the topic, when you get 1000's together, you'll get a few people who like to take shots at the top guys. It's the nature of the beast.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 PM

While talking/writing/posting is an easy thing to do, communicating is not. On a forum such as this, there is a fine line between an observation and an insult.

Take your post for instance:

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is more than obvious that any time Sklansky posts, because of his lack of social skills or standards and his confidence (bridging on arrogance), posters love to eat him up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this an observation of how DS posts or an insult?
Why would it be seen in either light?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM

I was SO tempted to post a "Do you see why?" here, but I couldn't work it into a post in a funny way.

But with regards to your post, I really haven't seen anyone "ripping" on Sklansky on these boards. Maybe I'm frequenting the wrong forums, but for the most part all I see is playful joking using his catchphrases, etc. (see above)

If you could maybe post an example or two?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is more than obvious that any time Sklansky posts, because of his lack of social skills

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh brother. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 AM

Sklansky's a middle-aged, deliberate, super-analytical type whose public sense of humor is as dry as fossilized sh[/b]it. He's an easy target and he doesn't seem to mind.

What's the problem again?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:29 AM

a middle-aged, deliberate, super-analytical type whose public sense of humor is as dry as fossilized [censored]. He's an easy target and he doesn't seem to mind.

You have just described most executives and CEOs. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 01:52 AM

Cause hes a pompous arrogant ass. And that's why I love him.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky's a middle-aged, deliberate, super-analytical type whose public sense of humor is as dry as fossilized [censored]. He's an easy target and he doesn't seem to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Foreshadowing something aren't we Bison?

Lawrence
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it apperas as though they sort of want to wage war against his confidence, and try to bring him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the "I feel bad for degenerate gamblers" threads I just read talking about how degenerate gamblers keep playing even when they know they can't compete. They're in it for the thrill. Makes me then wonder if Sklansky feels bad for the degenerate posters who try to compete with him. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have a hard time reading anything he posts as non-good-natured ever since someone made fun talking about him wearing two pocket-protectors all the time or whatever. It's hard to think of him as mean with that image in my head. Add some thick-framed glasses held together with tape for an even greater effect.