Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

I've been mostly playing $25NL, where I can basically find an easy game anywhere, and have no problem 8 or 10 tabling at 5-10BB/100.

I just tried some $50NL on PokerRoom network and the tables became significantly tighter. It almost seems that it's not as profitable to play at $50NL because of this, and I also probably can't multitable as much. However, I did fairly well at the few $50PL tables they had, which were fairly loose.

What kind of experience have you guys had with this? And what would you recommend as a plan to move up?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

Move up.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:35 PM

I almost posted this exact same question. The 25NL games are filled with juicy players on pokerroom. I haven't moved up yet becomes the games change significatly going to 50NL.. However it is necessarily in learning i suppose so eventually i will. But i'm positive I'm making more money on 25NL then i would on 50nl.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 PM

I have almost exactly the same problem. I beat the 25NL tables easily. But the 50NL tables are significantly tighter (full ring change from 45-50% see flops to 30-35%) and people are also much more aggressive.

I go from 10PTBB at the 25s to barely break even at the 50s. It is a small sample size and I think I do play a bit scared, but the difference does seem a lot bigger than people give it credit for.

I was really glad to read this post - I thought I was the only one with this problem.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:10 AM

Yeah I'm almost certain I'll be making more at 25 than 50. Although I did do well at 50PL today, I don't know if that'll last and I just broke even at 50NL, in which I noticed a significant change in tightness from 25NL.

So what is the solution to this? One has to move up eventually correct? When does moving up become more profitable?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm almost certain I'll be making more at 25 than 50. Although I did do well at 50PL today, I don't know if that'll last and I just broke even at 50NL, in which I noticed a significant change in tightness from 25NL.

So what is the solution to this? One has to move up eventually correct? When does moving up become more profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only solution is to play better if you really want to move up. Post hands and whatnot. Moving up becomes profitable when your winrate at 50NL becomes more profitable than your winrate at 25NL. No real magic to it.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:13 AM

dang... are you guys serious?? If you have the BR for it (which is the only thing stopping my own poverty-stricken self from jumping up) than do it!!!!!

THis is where all that money invested in all those books will FINALLY come into play!! You can FINALLY use the info found in them!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 AM

Right, but if we're not good enough to make at least 1/2 the BB/100 at $50 as we did in $25 w/ the same number of tables, then there's no use moving up yet (except for the experience factor, which I'm also wondering if it's better to move up just to get ur feet wet and prepare for the next level, even if ur not makin quite as much as before, YET). My bankroll is good for NL100 but I don't feel I'm ready for it yet.

And besides, NL25 is like sittin on the beach, sippin down a brewsky, while money falls from the sky.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, but if we're not good enough to make at least 1/2 the BB/100 at $50 as we did in $25 w/ the same number of tables, then there's no use moving up yet (except for the experience factor, which I'm also wondering if it's better to move up just to get ur feet wet and prepare for the next level, even if ur not makin quite as much as before, YET). My bankroll is good for NL100 but I don't feel I'm ready for it yet.

And besides, NL25 is like sittin on the beach, sippin down a brewsky, while money falls from the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah ok, you're right to some extent... hahaha ... (i like that metaphor)....

BUt A> there's still variance in 25NL. which does hit you hard.

B> Why aren't any of the pros playing 25NL???

You can definitely make money in the higher limits. And the style of play in the 25NL will not work in the higher limits. In fact, its a losing style.

I'm not one to brag about my domination in the higher limits, but i know it's more than "nut-peddling". And it is possible to get ahead at a significant rate equivalent to and better than your current limits.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Moving up depends on what your poker goals are. If you are in it for the money, you should try and move up. NL50 > NL25 money-wise for decent players. And NL100 is better yet.

Shoot for NL100 as a nice place to be. Money starts being more significant at that level. I've been paying the bills with NL100 money this whole past year.