Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

If you enjoy having $2X more than having $X then you should move up once you're beating NL25.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, but if we're not good enough to make at least 1/2 the BB/100 at $50 as we did in $25 w/ the same number of tables, then there's no use moving up yet (except for the experience factor, which I'm also wondering if it's better to move up just to get ur feet wet and prepare for the next level, even if ur not makin quite as much as before, YET). My bankroll is good for NL100 but I don't feel I'm ready for it yet.

And besides, NL25 is like sittin on the beach, sippin down a brewsky, while money falls from the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can stay at 25NL, make your $10-20/hr or whatever, or you can move up, which in the short term might decrease your winrate, but which in the long run allows you to get better at poker and potentially make a higher winrate at bigger limits. So it kind of depends what your goals are.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 AM

I think many people assume that $50NL must be twice as tough as $25NL, because everyone playing there must have started by beating the lower limit before moving up. I'm sure this is nowhere near the case. There are plenty of casual players who can afford to play several hours a week at this level, AND to consistently lose, without it making any real difference to them financially. They're just in it to gamble, and find gambling with $50 more fun than doing it with $25. So take their money.

(Disclaimer: I'm also a casual player playing several hours a week - I just take it more seriously than most [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 AM

I am no expert, I played along time on bodog, then came to one of the big sites a few months ago, and started at NL50, and got beat down a little. Moved back down to NL25 learned what I needed to, (see below) and as the BR increased (also adding in RB) I am now up to NL200 in about 4 months.
I play about 20-25 hours a week when possible and I am not great player. At NL25 my win rate was only like 7PTBB, at NL50 it was 7PTBB as well, at NL100 it was only 4PTBB but I continue to move up..why? Because 3PTBB/100 at 100 hours per month 5 tabling plus RB at NL200 would be over 50k per year (that is actually a low estimate) and I can guarentee my poker skills are nothing great, but they are getting much better, playing against better competition and continuing to read this board. And when I get my BR up to the next level, I will move up again...

As for what you need to do differently when moving up. At NL25 and to a lesser extent at NL50 you can just about play all your big pocket pairs to the end just trying to get all your money in where ever you can, but you need to start thinking a little more about what the guys have when they play back at you. Fold to reraises that could easily be sets etc. At 50 and 100, I made so much of my winnings off of sets, and when you get in trouble is when you go too far with the one paired hands. At NL200 so far, I have seen my sets getting paid off much less (could be the small sample size) and my big pocket pairs being challenged a lot more, by good and bad hands.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 AM

i recently moved from Party 25NL to 50NL and i'm not see much of a difference.. yeah there are a few tightys, but there are also plenty of those loose 50+%VPIPers.. both can be beat - just have to adapt to the tables.

i would never stay at a lower limit if i had the roll to try out a higher one. if youre getting beat up, move back down and settle yourself out.

take the shot!!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Yeah, I'm just worried when nut peddling will become ineffective. You can do it at 25NL and no one will ever catch on. Also I'm not one for continuation bets (scared to bluff mostly), and I'm even fairly cautious with missed flop bets (in low limit many times there's a multiway raised pot), which I assume you have to do more as the limits become more aggressive. Nonetheless, I shall learn, and will take your advice and move up.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:57 PM

oh man.. you cannot be afraid of continuation bets - cb's in position are a very powerful thing.

i make a decent chunk cb'ing missed flops and take the pot down right there. if they call or raise then you either need to reevaluate your situation on the turn or fold to the raise.

please please PLEASE reconsider this part of your game!

any others feel free to jump in, but i think cb'ing is an extremely powerful weapon.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm just worried when nut peddling will become ineffective. You can do it at 25NL and no one will ever catch on. Also I'm not one for continuation bets (scared to bluff mostly), and I'm even fairly cautious with missed flop bets (in low limit many times there's a multiway raised pot), which I assume you have to do more as the limits become more aggressive. Nonetheless, I shall learn, and will take your advice and move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this, maybe you should stay at $25 for a while and experiment with c-betting -- it's a very important part of NL. Although I play $25 myself, I think it must be a very necessary tool if you are going to move up.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh man.. you cannot be afraid of continuation bets - cb's in position are a very powerful thing.

i make a decent chunk cb'ing missed flops and take the pot down right there. if they call or raise then you either need to reevaluate your situation on the turn or fold to the raise.

please please PLEASE reconsider this part of your game!

any others feel free to jump in, but i think cb'ing is an extremely powerful weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't tell you how much i agree with this
Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 PM

I agree, this is also why I am hesitant. I just always seem to find myself bluffing at the wrong time, so I don't do it so much anymore (and I really don't need to at 25NL, and it may even be -EV cuz they call so much). But yeah that's one thing I know I have to work on.