Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-25-2005, 03:18 AM

Default blind steal gone wrong - comments?

75 or so left in micro buy in tourny. I have had a tight image, but I have been stealing blinds from this position.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t8548)
Hero (t23521)
MP1 (t6356)
MP2 (t33059)
MP3 (t24710)
CO (t35554)
Button (t7266)
SB (t13794)
BB (t12583)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t1200.

Flop: (t3600) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t10533 (All-In)</font>, Hero ... ?

thanks,
-Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: blind steal gone wrong - comments?

You didn't raise 3x the BB so the BB may have stayed with any two cards to see the flop. You've got second pair, no kicker and an inside str8 draw, and the chance for runner-runner club which will give you a pretty small flush. You can't re-raise him.

Easy fold.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:12 PM

drop it like it's hot
Old 11-25-2005, 01:21 PM

How do you defend against the stop-n-go? Flop a monster - too bad that 7 wasn't a 5. Foooold.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 PM

I hate this steal, because you have 3 large stacks that could call you without much pain and would have position on you on the flop. Good formula for donking away a lot of your chips.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:44 PM

Worst steal ever, quite possibly. You're second to act, so at any level buy-in, this is risky.

More importantly, you're at a micro level buy-in. They don't pay attention to an UTG+1 raise, they just see a raise and will call with K9+.

I'm generalizing here, but stealing from UTG+1 with a less than marginal hand in a micro buy in MTT is suicide.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst steal ever, quite possibly. You're second to act, so at any level buy-in, this is risky.

More importantly, you're at a micro level buy-in. They don't pay attention to an UTG+1 raise, they just see a raise and will call with K9+.

I'm generalizing here, but stealing from UTG+1 with a less than marginal hand in a micro buy in MTT is suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]

WIth 75 players left,people know about UTG raises. Believe me, you would be surprised to see how many good players there actually are.

I like the preflop bet alot since it isn't a marginal hand and if you get called you have an easy time throwing it away unless you hit the flop good, compared to lets say KJ if its a K high flop, not as easy to fold. I love doing steal from UTG with anything but marginal hands since I can fold them in a heartbeat.

So yes, this is clearly a fold.

EDIT: And that there are 3 big stacks don't matter, do they really want to tango vs Hero that really can cripple them? If they decide to call, they sure have something.

EDIT2: As Liberalis said, the only thing I don't like, is the blinds, those 1200 extra you get isn't worth it when you have a 20K+stack
Old 11-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Sry this has been posted, but this is not a good steal because of these factors:

- 1 position. UTG+1 in a decently full table.
- 2 blinds relative to your stack. Not worth stealing with garbage
- 3 cards. These cards do not have a lot of potential...

You want to make steal attempts from late positions when there are medium stacks still left to act.

Because of the poor quality of the above mentioned 3 factors, you are in a position where you must let the hand go if you meet any resistance at all. make a continuation bet if an unbet pot comes to you post flop, and go no further unless you have better than one pair.

EDIT: went back and counted, this isnt' an almost full table, its a full table..

Do not act UTG+1 with poor hands at a full table.. 7 people are left to act after you... one of them is GONNA WAKE UP with something.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:07 PM

Lay it down preflop.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:48 PM

yikes! This makes for a learning experience.

Thanks for the comments guys,
Mike