Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: I am BREAKEVEN in 200NL (graph) please analyze my stats

All but 100 hands on this graph are from $200NL 6 max. The other 100 are from $400NL 6 max.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to work on your game, single table, read hands for every player involved in every hand, and vocalize why you are doing everything you do (eg. "I'm raising because ______ led weak and folded to a raise a couple orbits ago so I can probably take this away here. If I don't, I can take it away on the turn if it is a _____ or a _____ but should give up if its a _____")

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought of doing this same thing the other day, but haven't tried it yet. I'm expecting it to be one of the most boring things ever, though. Have you tried this? Did you find it helpful? I'm a 100NL player looking to move up to 200NL as well, but I need to improve my game before I do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-table 1/2 and 2/4 6-max and I do this for almost every hand I play. It forces you to know why you're doing what you're doing. I do it in advance as well. For example, I might have been raising preflop a lot and taking it down with a continuation bet every time so, when I make my next raise, I've often already decided if I'm going to bet the flop or not (provisionally, of course, as betting some hands on some flops is almost mandatory). Its most useful when you're deciding whether or not to call because calling forces you to show down the best hand or make an aggressive play on a later street. If you don't think you can get paid off if you make your hand and aren't getting immediate odds to draw at it (as is often the case with a flush draw on the turn), you have to have some idea of what river cards might be good ones to bluff with as well as a good estimate of the likelihood of your opponent folding to a bluff. Its not all strictly mathematical (i.e. "I need x number of cards to bluff with and he needs to fold y percent of the time") but you need a good feel for about how often different plays need to be successful and this feel changes a lot based on your opponents and your table image (which are two things that are also dynamic).
Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 AM

After a rough downswing, I rededicated myself today. Ran good, hit a couple sets, and finished the day way up. I noticed myself making some slightly sophisticated plays that I usually wouldn't think of.

For example, I was first to act and bet the flop and turn with low two pair. My usual play on the river would be to bet half the pot and fold to a raise, but here I had a feeling he might try to bluff overs. Sure enough, I checked he bet the pot, I called and he had a missed straight. Plays like these happened 3 or 4 times over a 2 hour, 4 table session, which really added up in the end.

Moral of the story: I guess I paid a little less attention every day and it had gotten to the point where I was basing decisions solely on my cards and HUD stats. Didn't realize how bad that was for my game.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 AM

I was thinking of playing some without the HUD and just relying on the force. Curious to hear if anyone actually stopped using it for good or maybe turns it off after settling in at the table with some reads.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok guys, ill post a new graph after 13k more hands.hopefully things will have changed. plus minus 500 EVERY freakin DAY is getting to me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You (look to have) tilted like 350 bb in the middle of that graph. Without that, your winrate would be good.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 AM

Iceman, did you post your prettiest 12k for us to see? It doesn't seem intuitively correct that your swings aren't more wild.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 AM

i was talking to a fellow 2+2'er on aim and for the first time i actually got an interesting response.first he told me that he has never seen drop this bad..(refering to my 6000-7000 interval drop). He said "you must have been on tilt." and well he was right. but then he said "well if you didnt go on monkey tilt that day then you would have had a nice profit and good bb/100. and you know what... he is right. i am looking at my graph and if it wasnt for that 1 day of complete madness, i could have been a winner. maybe i am not playing that bad.. maybe i should just play 20k more hands and then analyze. that 1k hand stretch, i basically threw my months profit away. or atleast a majority of it. but it was just interesting. i never saw it that way. let me know what you guys think. i did get a confidence boost.