Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Is this good play or reckless chip spewing?

No read on opponent -- first hand.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...
Old 09-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Is this good play or reckless chip spewing?

calling the flop raise and having no action on the turn is bad. i doubt you'll get away with this often enough.

do yourself a favor and give up on the flop.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:44 PM

check/fold the flop. If you really want to donk as a bluff then fold the raise
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 PM

This was pretty weak. First I fold in the BB with Q5s. Second, check/fold the flop is your best option. bet/fold is crappy but certainly better than bet calling. Betting the river is oooooook, there's a lot of hand that beat you that he might fold. However, in a small pot like this on the flop it is almost always better just to give it up before you end up losing multiple BBs
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Results and thoughts

Thanks CDC. That's sort of what I figured. But it's hard not to be results oriented in these situations.

I think folding pre-flop is too weak. Raiser is in position to steal and my hand is good enough to defend. Had there been a limper before the raiser, it's an easy muck pre-flop.

Here's what I was thinking after the flop.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero pauses until after the alert. Hero finally considers the combination of backdoor straight + backdoor flush + possibility villain is on steal is enough to call the flop raise. Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero thinks about his pause on the flop and the fact that villain checked the turn. Hero thinks villain is scared hero has a big hand now.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Like I said, I don't want to be results oriented. So good input is good. Frivolous useless input is useless.

I don't like not having a read on my opponent. But this is my first hand. So I don't have a read. I just know he's in position to steal. But at this limit, how many players steal?

[gripe] what's up with the donk? Seems everybody and everything is donk, donk, donk. People are just playing poker. Just because you think a bluff won't work doesn't make it a donk bet. Just because someone makes a value bet that obviuosly is valueless in your eyes, deosn't make them a donker. It's just poker. People are playing and they play however they see fit. Just take advantage of their weak play. [/gripe] That was a crappy gripe, but oh well.