Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Bill Gates and Africa

There's a good article in the October 24th edition of the New Yorker about the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and what the Foundation is trying to do to fight disease in Africa. The following quotation from the article reminded me of David's threads about helping (or not helping) people in Africa. [I made a long post in the Politics thread detailing some of the things the Foundation has done and the incredible amounts of money it is devoting to its causes.]

"It just blows my mind how little money has been spent on malaria research. What has prevented the rich world from attempting this? I jsut keep asking myself, Do we really not care becasue it doesnt' affect us? Is that what it is?"

I assume David would say, yes, that's exactly what it is.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Bill Gates and Africa

[ QUOTE ]
"...do we really not care becasue it doesnt' affect us? Is that what it is?"

I assume David would say, yes, that's exactly what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that's exactly what it is as well. Also, one can justifiably not care and is by no means obligated to care/help.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 AM

It's beyond benign neglect. Policies followed by many Western people and governments have directly lead to incredible human suffering and death in Africa. And the consequences of these policies were (and are) obvious. These policies are, by and large, still ongoing.

How about the environmental lobby which has caused the deaths of millions of Africans due to their efforts to ban DDT? How about the attempts to restrict genetically engineered crops - the "green revolution"? There are other examples.

Sending money or food is just a stopgap, and may very well do more harm than good in the long run. It props up corrupt regimes, who steal most of it anyway. It can also cut the legs out from under the local farmers. If donated food actually DOES manage to get distributed, who's going to buy the local product when they can get the foreign aid for free?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"It just blows my mind how little money has been spent on malaria research. What has prevented the rich world from attempting this? I jsut keep asking myself, Do we really not care becasue it doesnt' affect us? Is that what it is?"

[/ QUOTE ]This is a lie. There is zero chance that Bill Gates doesn't understand that there is no money involved in malaria research. Who does he think is to do this malaria research, anyone qualified to do such has huge students debts to pay off. It's not that people don't care, it's that most people care much more about other things. And those that do care about africa haven't the skills to research malaria, the money to do so, or aren't close enough to get much positive reinforcement to continue to do so.

The richest man in the world making such statements is insulting, not to me, and not to the intended rich, but to his own character, and intelligence.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who does he think is to do this malaria research, anyone qualified to do such has huge students debts to pay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know anything about how research science works, huh?

scrub
Old 10-22-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is a lie. There is zero chance that Bill Gates doesn't understand that there is no money involved in malaria research. Who does he think is to do this malaria research, anyone qualified to do such has huge students debts to pay off. It's not that people don't care, it's that most people care much more about other things. And those that do care about africa haven't the skills to research malaria, the money to do so, or aren't close enough to get much positive reinforcement to continue to do so.

The richest man in the world making such statements is insulting, not to me, and not to the intended rich, but to his own character, and intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it very differently. Many scientists care and would love to work on problems like this. Its not that they neccasarily care more about other things but the system puts them in a position where they have little choice but to work in areas that offer short term rewards.

10 years ago I could have been superior about how much better it was in the uk where universities/students worked on problems that they felt most important. Sadly since then we've gone down the student loan/big business route.

Bill Gates may be guilty of a bit of exaggeration but I think his dead right.

chez
Old 10-22-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the environmental lobby which has caused the deaths of millions of Africans due to their efforts to ban DDT?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, a company in the US makes DDT when there was no DDT before. The environmental lobby convinces US govt to stop this production. So then, this lobby has just murdered millions of Africans who relied on a product that wasn't developed by them, wasn't produced by them, and wasn't banned by them?

Nice logic.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:35 PM

Even if a cure for Malaria was found and sent to Africa it would only fall into the hands of local warlords, thus increasing their power. And the warlord's ain't gonna give out the vaccine for free.

No help can be given to anyone there until they all have stable governments.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who does he think is to do this malaria research, anyone qualified to do such has huge students debts to pay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know anything about how research science works, huh?

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]All I know, is I have a 4 hour erection. I'm sure the money spent on ED makes Bills donation look like paultry.

Please explain to me what I'm missing about research science, in regards to malaria.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Pharmaceutical companies, like any business, concentrate on creating products that people will buy. There is almost no financial incentive to make a vaccine for malaria; the West doesn't need it. African children don't lobby Congress; they have no money, and neither do the countries they live in.