Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Whats the best way to read women?

Ok, this is my first non-poker post to the psych forum.

I go to a college with 30k or so students, and I happen to sit next to probably the cutest girl on campus. I'm trying to figure out if she likes me or not. Its very very hard for me to tell these things, because I get a lot of false positives, and hopefully some false negatives in my overall experience with women.

Here are my clues:

Favorable:

1. She goes out of her way to compliment me on various things. "This stuff is easy for you because you're smart"
"I'm so glad we ended up sitting next to eachother"
"Its almost like you're already a lawyer"
"Its cute the way you do that"
"I'm really happy that I have a friend in the class"
"Your hair looks good. Did you get a haircut?"

2. She laughs at my jokes

3. She smiles at me a lot

4. She keeps trying to make plans that involve me
"I really want to learn latin. We should take latin together!"

"We need to study together"

"You should teach me how to play poker. Do you think I'll be good?"

Or, she'll ask me if I like horror movies and then she'll mention that one is playing...

5. She started initiating and giving me hugs whenever she says goodbye now.
I don't know if this part is favorable or unfavorable actually, because maybe if she liked me she would be too uncomfortable to hug me?

6. She offered to "heal" my stomache ache.
She's into yoga and stuff like that and told me she would do healing work on my stomache problems. I don't believe in stuff like this, but its a pretty nice thought, like when you know someone is keeping you in their prayers or rooting for you to win a hand or something.

7. We both like folk music and country music.
Who in LA likes folk and country? I'm not saying we're "made for eachother" because I don't believe in stuff like that, but I do think that when two people share odd tastes its more favorable than when two people share typical tastes.

8. We seem to have similarly left-wing politics.
Its usually a good thing when two people have common values. If nothing else, it makes for good conversation and less awkward situations when election season comes around.

9. She bought me coffee one time

10. She said "I love you" in a girly way when I gave her this burnt cd. Then she said she'd buy me something while she's away on her vacation.

11. She asked me for my phone number w/in the first few classes

Unfavorable:

1. I aked her to a halloween party, and she told me she had some friends in town and was doing something else, but that I should give her the address and she might stop by...

This is hard for me to evaluate because her excuse might be true.

2. She is 26 and I am 21.
This is pretty unfavorable just by itself. Most women I know like older guys.

3. She's so much hotter than I am its ridiculous.
I'm very thin, and not at all muscular. I'm probably 130 pounds soaking wet. I have brown hair, and I am only 5 foot 10 1/2. Also, I have a very fair complexion. I think most women like tall guys with medium builds with blonde hair and a tan, sooooo in other words, I'm NOT exactly what women want.
This doesn't mean I haven't been with attractive women before, but it does mean that I'm not what someone would call a hottie.

4. We live sort of far apart. Sure, we're both in LA, but its a big city, and driving sucks.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to read her. What other clues should I pay attention to that I'm missing. I've been sitting next to her for maybe 3 months now, so I've had a lot of time to size things up. Shouldn't I know by now one way or the other?

Thanks,
Snowball
Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Whats the best way to read women?

I would ask her out for any one of these multiple reasons that you've stated above.

honestly, she's thrown every hint at you, and she's probably frustrated taht you "don't get it".

if it does work out for you, you should mention that you were trying to figure it out, they usually find it cute.

absolutely go for it.

p.s. this advice is also coming from my girlfriend, who is now saying she threw alot of these same hints at me and finally broke down and asked me out... apparently Im too stupid.

oh and a good way to go about this is find an easy way to give her your number, it puts the ball in her court.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:19 AM

I usually require a girl to say "listen dumbass, I like you" before I'm sure. However, I think even I could have worked out by now that asking her for dinner or whatever would probably be successful.

Another positive sign is if she hasn't dropped "my boyfriend" into any conversations yet - many girls find ways of doing this to warn guys off without doing it directly.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I usually require a girl to say "listen dumbass, I like you" before I'm sure. However, I think even I could have worked out by now that asking her for dinner or whatever would probably be successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I do anything, I think I need to read Sklansky's new book on picking up chicks. I hear he gets more 23 year old girls than Daniel Negraneau.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Dude, why do you want to fold AA pre-flop? Sure, they may get cracked, but you've to get your money in the middle when you are ahead.

Just realized I posted this to the wrong thread, but after further review it probably still applies. Stop being a pansy and ask her out.

What is the worst thing can happen? She will politely decline.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:56 AM

Sounds to me like she despises you.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:00 AM

When i think of this post even though what u describe is not this www.factualmaterial.com/douchebag.htm it is you in essence what kind of retarded face are u. why would u not just ask her out to dinner and take it from there u seem like degenerate scum 3 months lol 3 weeks is suicde try 3 days
Old 10-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Seriously, dude, the only risks I regret in my life are those I didn't take (few and far between they may be). Take a chance. Worst case is that you misinterpreted her signals and get shot down. Big deal. You think that'll break you? No way, it'll make you stronger, and NEXT time you're in this situation you'll have more confidence to give it another shot (and hopefully not wait so long, cuz you may have waited so long you're slipping into "friend" status).

Do it do it doitdoitdoit

do it
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this is my first non-poker post to the psych forum.

I go to a college with 30k or so students, and I happen to sit next to probably the cutest girl on campus. I'm trying to figure out if she likes me or not. Its very very hard for me to tell these things, because I get a lot of false positives, and hopefully some false negatives in my overall experience with women.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. She doesnt like you.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:02 AM

I'd say you are 70%. My only concern is negative #3. That makes me worry that she falls in the category of what you might call "movie star niceness" (I just coined that phrase)where she takes it upon herself to make guys out of her league feel good about the attention she gives them, never considering that they may start to think they have a chance with her. If that's the case you are drawing dead. But you'll find out almost instantly so it won't be a prolonged ordeal.