Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: $55 party heads up play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually push 32o here, and the villains usually fold. Even the "loosest" $55'er villains aren't likely to be calling with much more than 50% of their hands here. You need a good reason not to push. I'm suprised at how many of you are folding this. If you've folded as many as 2 of your last 5 hands and you haven't seen villain calling you with worse than jack high or something or know that he's a really good player, push push push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really REALLY bad advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then show me what's really REALLY bad about it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually push 32o here, and the villains usually fold. Even the "loosest" $55'er villains aren't likely to be calling with much more than 50% of their hands here. You need a good reason not to push. I'm suprised at how many of you are folding this. If you've folded as many as 2 of your last 5 hands and you haven't seen villain calling you with worse than jack high or something or know that he's a really good player, push push push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really REALLY bad advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then show me what's really REALLY bad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ususally do explain my decisions, but I felt no need to explain this one. It's awful. Shorty is getting to the point where his range of calling hands is huge. You have him on the ropes. Why let him back in the game pushing 75 (or 32o in your example) ?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ususally do explain my decisions, but I felt no need to explain this one. It's awful. Shorty is getting to the point where his range of calling hands is huge. You have him on the ropes. Why let him back in the game pushing 75 (or 32o in your example) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because shorty's calling range should be huge, doesn't mean that it is. They need to be calling with Tx or something like it to make this move -EV. And by x I don't just mean 9 or 8. I'd venture to say that the average villain doesn't even call with 50% of their hands here, which clearly makes this a profitable push with 32o. Of course this depends on the situation and the villain, and it is sometimes correct to fold 32o. But pushing should be the default here, and you should need a good reason to fold if you do IMO.

I'm not certain what part of this you disagree with. The calling ranges I assume or the "math" part.

Edit: You still didn't really explain your decision, you just said "pushing is -ev, folding is +ev" in a fancier way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 10:56 PM

You're giving villain too much credit for a fold IMO. This is where we disagree.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:03 PM

i fold
Old 09-13-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're giving villain too much credit for a fold IMO. This is where we disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case all we can do is [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="pink">agree to disagree</font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

But seriously, if you NEVER, or almost never push 32o here you are missing a lot of $$$. I guess the "average" or "general" situation is somewhat irrelevant, since you always need to make individual reads when heads up.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case all we can do is [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="pink">agree to disagree</font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

But seriously, if you NEVER, or almost never push 32o here you are missing a lot of $$$. I guess the "average" or "general" situation is somewhat irrelevant, since you always need to make individual reads when heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, let's agree to disagree [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 12:13 AM

I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you Chuck. I just think if the villian is reasonable he reckons the fact that a double up here puts him on the road to back in it while a double up later is insignificant. As such I see him pushing any two here and if he does you are likely in trouble due to the fact your starting hand is so weak. I say fold and then push him when you have a stronger starting hand as opposed to pushing when you are weak when he is likely in a position to call. Just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you Chuck. I just think if the villian is reasonable he reckons the fact that a double up here puts him on the road to back in it while a double up later is insignificant. As such I see him pushing any two here and if he does you are likely in trouble due to the fact your starting hand is so weak. I say fold and then push him when you have a stronger starting hand as opposed to pushing when you are weak when he is likely in a position to call. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't occur to me that you were attacking anobody. I certainly agree with you if the villain is reasonable. I don't think that villains at $55's are all that reasonable. They are very weak/tight in situations like this. Hell, you see villains folding to all-ins with 2:1 or even BETTER odds almost daily when it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. And this is much better. You're effectively pushing 4BB and have a lot (more than you should have) of FE.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:04 PM

He said the villlian seemed reasonable at the start of the post, therefore I'm thinking he realizes he should call here with nearly anything to give himself a shot. And if he does call we are likely in a bad situation.