Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Default scary TPTK multiway

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1300)
Hero (t1000)
MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t1185)
CO (t990)
Button (t810)
SB (t985)
BB (t745)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, Button calls t50, SB calls t50, BB calls t50.

Turn: (t260) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t190</font>, Button calls t190, SB calls t190, BB calls t190.

River: (t1020) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t300</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t300.

Final Pot: t1620

my biggest question is on the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: scary TPTK multiway

I like it all, cept i bet more on turn probably. Do you overcall if one of the blinds calls?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets t190, Button calls t190, SB calls t190, BB calls t190.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this some kind of joke? Did someone switch out the "Fold" and "Call" buttons?

I think I bet the turn as well (even in a limped pot, you're going to lose most hands containing a three), but I can certainly see the argument for keeping the pot small, and seeing what develops. I'm not married to this hand, and others are going to fight for it, that's fine. That said, some of this is results-oriented. If you didn't get fifteen callers, you wouldn't think twice about this bet.

I'm trying to come up with a hand that you beat here... a worse 9, small pockets, busted draw or a loose goose with a couple of overs trying to buy the pot come to mind. If the bet came from anywhere besides the button, I think I'm folding this, but the chance he's trying to buy it make it a closer play. I guess I call, but I'm not too happy about it.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you didn't get fifteen callers, you wouldn't think twice about this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

as soon as i got 15 callers on the flop i started saying "oh crap, what the hell do i do on the turn?" with that many callers, it's hard to convince yourself there's no one slowplaying dumbly. and there are also ~400 cards that might beat me anyway, so putting in a lot of money on the turn isn't all that appealing even if i am temporarily ahead.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

can't see me playing this hand much differently. possibly a weak-tightish fold on river by me.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM

After the flop I'm doing everything I can to keep the pot small. I check the turn a lot with the intention of calling a river bet. Sure it costs me the pot sometimes, but it saves me chips when I end up in trouble.

Even more important than protecting your hand is only playing big pots when you know where you're at.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:22 PM

without having bet enough to scare anyone out on the flop bet, a protection all in on the turn would have been good.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM

With the flop bet not thinning the field and not generating any raises I would have concluded that I was likely good and that there were no big draws out - I was probably up against a couple of weak draws and another 9 that didn't know where they stood. Unlikely the 3 helped anyone unless the spade gave them a draw as well as a piece. The 2 checks just serve to reinforce my conclusion so that tells me I should bet. I check the river and call the button's reasonable bet (but would have folded to a lead by either blind) - I assume you paid off a 9s based flush. Tough hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM

C/R turn on non scare card in order to take this pot down right here.

C/F otherwise. I think a large majortiy of the time you are calling this river bet with an inferior hand - I believe it's a fold, even with the 4:1 odds.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop I'm doing everything I can to keep the pot small. I check the turn a lot with the intention of calling a river bet. Sure it costs me the pot sometimes, but it saves me chips when I end up in trouble.

Even more important than protecting your hand is only playing big pots when you know where you're at.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thinking at the time was that if i'm going to put in one bet on either the turn or the river, it's better to put it in on the turn when draws will pay (or fold - that's ok too).

the only time i really end up saving chips by checking the turn (vs. bet turn, check river) is if the last guy to act bets the turn and someone c/r's, or if there's a bet and raise/call in front of me on the river.

of course, i say that and then wound up calling a bet on the river, so maybe you have a point.

incidentally there's a hand of mine that's being discussed in STT that's very similar - i have a good one pair, bet the flop and get called and have a turn decision - and i argue check there.