Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-01-2005, 04:26 AM

Default (55) I have a garbage hand, but great pot odds...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button (t1610)
SB (t1435)
Hero (t740)
UTG (t2295)
MP (t1265)
CO (t2655)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t300, SB calls t225, Hero ???

Reads: UTG is a tight-aggro multitabler, but he loosens up in the later rounds so I can't really put him on a hand with the minraise. Button is a loose, passive player. SB is extremely loose preflop.

There's 1050 in the pot. I can fold and have t590 left, call and see a flop with t440 left to shove in on just about any flop, or I can push and get ??? callers and at least 3:1 on my chips with my junk hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: (55) I have a garbage hand, but great pot odds...

Fold. Maybe if your hand was a decent drawing hand, but 75o is just drawing to 2 pair or better. If I remember correctly, I read in the probability forum that you need something like 20-1(could be wrong) to draw to 2 pair or better. I'd call if I had something like T9s. Stop and go sucks because the flop is bound to hit at least one of your opponents. I'd just fold and hope to get Ax, Kx, or PP in the next orbit.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM

My intuition is that you're probably best off folding here and figuring 3 more BBs from your SB might be enough to get somebody to fold. This is based on my hunch that you're going to get more than 1 caller if you push - UTG seems like a near lock, and if for some reason he doesn't squeeze I think you pick up button at least - and then the pot odds aren't looking quite as exciting, because I don't think you'll have enough of the equity. The stop and go doesn't seem likely to give you much folding power. But, it's been quite a long time since I've thought about this kind of situation, so caveat emptor. I don't think pushing is awful, and if you could isolate with UTG then it's probably pretty good.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:22 AM

Well, according to the card that came with the last deck I bought, 20:1 is about right to draw to two pair or better. I think the important numbers are:

My hand is a 3:2 underdog against a random hand
It's about a 2:1 dog against a pretty wide range of hands people might be calling with here
It's about a 3:1 dog against two of those hands
6:1 against a higher PP
Old 11-01-2005, 05:22 AM

I think it's a marginal fold. Though I certainly don't think a call is crazily incorrect, and you do need to hit something at some point.

You can't push the flop though SB will act first.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't push the flop though SB will act first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, assuming he checks. He'd been the most loose-passive of the group so I wasn't at all worried about him betting a flop he didn't hit into three other people.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 AM

Hmm. Well, in that case, I probably am erring towards a call here. I'm not sure about stop and go though - it'll be such a pitiful amount compared to the pot.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:51 AM

I think this is an easy fold. You are not that desperate that pot odds dictate you play this hand. You will still have some FE with T590. And you can't be serious about pushing any flop verse 3 opponents?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:16 AM

Fold. You simply don't have enough chips to be trying this.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:22 AM

I fold without giving any thought to other plays. Maybe other plays should be considered and I am wrong to not consider them but I fold just the same.