Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Default 50-100 Hand

Cut Off Open raises, he is a tough shorthanded pro. I 3-bet the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], SB Caps...he is a winning full game player I am pretty sure. I have played limited time with each guy, but I think they both perceive me as tight at the very least, and also probably think I have some clue (fooled them).

So, Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets, Cut-Off Calls, I RAISE, they both just call...

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
CHECKED AROUND

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, Cut-Off calls I fold

Basically should I bet the turn? Should I wait to raise the turn to try to get them to make a "good laydown" on the expensive street?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: 50-100 Hand

I think the turn check is the right play. The SB probably has JJ and isn't going anywhere anyway now that the pot's got quite large. Another very possible hand for him is QQ and he whiffed on the turn. The other option you mentioned could be a good one. A turn raise could get a fold out of the SB with something like TT or JJ. You run the risk of being 3 bet obviously and putting in 3 on the turn, but that's the best way I can see to win this unimproved.

You didn't mention how many handed this was when it was dealt. It doesn't change everything, but a little at least.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:53 PM

i love it. the free card play is underused. good work.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 PM

i like the line. as a previous poster suggested, it is more likely that you will be 3bet on the turn than the times you take down the pot, making this play -EV in comparison to the line you took. nh.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:28 PM

If I bet this turn isnt it possible they give me credit for a Queen and fold 88 or something?
Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 PM

"Basically should I bet the turn?"

SB had a chance to present the CO with a double bet, after capping preflop, and let it go. Unless you had a good read on him losing interest in the hand, you are probably looking at a turn check-raise. Well played all around.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 PM

Can't he just think he is beat and is ready to fold to a turn bet?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically should I bet the turn? Should I wait to raise the turn to try to get them to make a "good laydown" on the expensive street?

[/ QUOTE ]

You play much higher than me. Isn't this an example of where, depending on the situation, sometimes you take the free card/fold line and sometimes you don't? Otherwise you're ABC.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 PM

Heads Up yes SA...with 2 callers, especially when they are good players I seem to almost always take the free card though because the bet seems hopeless. This hand got me thinking
Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 PM

I think this is a bad example of such a situation. It's so likely you are beat and that your opponents won't fold that taking the free card here is what you should be doing almost all the time. There are plenty of situations where you will be semi-bluffing the turn. I don't think always checking here would hurt you.

-Ezcheeze