Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

View Poll Results: QJs
Fold 26 78.79%
Raise 1 3.03%
Call 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: AK flop decision - 20/40

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally wrong and very basic. You really need to read TOP, i've seen you write these things time and time again. No offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

With your thinking the correct play then shouldn't be to check-raise the flop, it should be to check-call the flop and bet the turn - keeping the size of the pot small so anyone who plays with a 4 outer is playing incorrectly.

Considering the action and the tight player who is likely to hold an A or a middle pair, the best results on the flop would be to bet while welcoming the possibility of a raise from the second to act player. Thats how it is best to protect his hand.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really disagree with this, Nick. Each time BB called, he had to call 1 bet, and was correct to do so. By betting out, TP might raise and that would charge BB two. Then his call would be a mistake. But because of OP's checkraise, BB was getting proper odds to overcall the flop then call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a misconception IMO.

we factor this into our EV when we are going to call - it might get raised behind us, or if we're gonna call two cold, the original bettor might three bet etc. it cuts into our actual odds. if BB puts in two bets (which we know will happen, but he doesn't) then he made a mistake calling the first time even though he didn't know it.

functionally (from the perspective of the amount of bets going in), it's no different than us bet-calling and BB calling the two cold, if we assume he'd have the same range in both cases - which of course isnt the case.

since this isn't true in most cases, we should like to checkraise if he'll call multiple bets one at a time, trapping hands for multiple bets when they actually don't have odds. if in fact his putting two bets in on the flop is incorrect, we should take whatever action gets him to do that (and make a mistake). if it's correct, then we should take whatever action would get him to fold (and make a mistake). if that's checkraising or betting or whatever, yeah.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally wrong and very basic. You really need to read TOP, i've seen you write these things time and time again. No offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post, I was lost before but now I get it

P.S. sorry nothing personal I'm having a [censored] day.