Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-23-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: A Caution About Sample Size

Do you always form a conclusion, then do research to support it? If so, there is a spot in U.S. Intelligence for you!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Fox News does a fluff piece promoting a white supremisist website

To say fox news and fox affiliates are completely isolated idealogically is a naive statement.

A part of the excellent documentry 'Out Foxed' tells the story of a local affiliate that was brow beat into running negative stories about democrats. They had to run entire pieces unedited that took pot shots at respected policital figures.

So that is not a hasty generalization. The culture of Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch is pervasive. Look at the Katrina coverage or the constant bashing of black leaders.

A CBS or ABC affiliate would never run garbage like this.

The vast majority of Fox News viewers are racist and saying "i have a lot of black friends" does not mean you cant be a bigot.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of Fox News viewers are racist and saying "i have a lot of black friends" does not mean you cant be a bigot

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing. Are you including Fox viewers in this too?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:03 PM

Don't feed the trolls, guys.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:07 PM

If you watch "Outfoxed", you will realize that this is STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE for Fox and the affilates. There are several memos regarding talking points and catch phrases, all to be repeated by on-air staff -

How many stories from how many Fox affilates and the Network in general do you need before you start to accept the fact that the outlet has a history of attempting to portray the Republican Agenda as "fair and balanced" when they are anything but?

RB
Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you watch "Outfoxed", you will realize that this is STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE for Fox and the affilates. There are several memos regarding talking points and catch phrases, all to be repeated by on-air staff -

How many stories from how many Fox affilates and the Network in general do you need before you start to accept the fact that the outlet has a history of attempting to portray the Republican Agenda as "fair and balanced" when they are anything but?

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I've watched neither, but what you're talking about is a far cry from the OP's claims.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:22 PM

The report leaves the impression that these guys are your "friendly neighborhood racists" who just want their own race and to be left alone.

READ THE SITE. They are far worse than Fox made them appear. Stormfront got exactly what they wanted - a free advertisement to lure in "tepid racists" who might be too afraid to join any "extremist racist" sites.

That piece was a SLAM DUNK for stormfront. Sure, we can all see it for what it is, but I'm sure stormfront got a bunch of new members from SC/NC.

The reporter was derelict by allowing the site to define itself in its own words when the "facts" clearly say it is much worse. In this case, simply reporting "their own words" on the website would have been sufficient.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The report leaves the impression that these guys are your "friendly neighborhood racists" who just want their own race and to be left alone.

READ THE SITE. They are far worse than Fox made them appear. Stormfront got exactly what they wanted - a free advertisement to lure in "tepid racists" who might be too afraid to join any "extremist racist" sites.

That piece was a SLAM DUNK for stormfront. Sure, we can all see it for what it is, but I'm sure stormfront got a bunch of new members from SC/NC.

The reporter was derelict by allowing the site to define itself in its own words when the "facts" clearly say it is much worse. In this case, simply reporting "their own words" on the website would have been sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disputing much of what you say, but since the original piece by Fox Carolina is apparently no longer up on the web, we don't really know what it said in its entirety. All we have to go on is a "report about a report".
Old 12-24-2005, 12:00 AM

Here is a video and a transcript of the segment.

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/12/22/...ite-supremacy/

If any part of it was faked, you can bet Newscorp would insta-sue think progress.

So whats this arguement you are making about not knowing exactly what was in the segment?

Just admit that it is completely indefensible and not unrelated to fox cable news. Fox cable news would not allow an affiliate to air a pro-liberal story, but it allows them to promote hate sites.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM

OK, canis, I just watched the video, on your recommendation.

Overall, it had the feel of a factual piece of reportage--although at the end, it may have seemed a tad "inviting" to the viewer, perhaps. That is about where the segment got cut off.

I don't see it as championing Stormfront; it does give the group some publicity; and the lack of much negativity in the piece is somewhat notable.

I don't know much about Stormfront, other than what that piece reported; if the report is an accurate overall characterization, then Stormfront would not seem nearly as bad as, say, the KKK or the Neo-Nazis.

I guess I'll take a browse over to the Stormfront website now and see what impressions can be gathered; now I'm curious if they are really Neo-Nazis or the like, or if it is much less bad than all that.