Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Risk Or Reward

My thoughts on my turn call were that UTG+1 had not shown any aggression pior to his turn bet, so I figured he had a pair of K's at best and I had the open end straight draw with seven outs, 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] putting three to a flush. Was my risk greater than my reward?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Risk Or Reward

I can't see a better line than the one you played. I don't think a c/r on the riv is better than a lead bet. NH
Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM

If the river card wasn't the 9 of clubs, I think a check raise here would be in order.

The pot odds here justifies a call on the turn, but let's say the 4 of clubs and 9 of clubs is dirty 25% of the time here:

1 of 4 you will lose 2 bets on the river since you will get raised (you will bet and call the raise)
3 of 4 times you will win 1 bet on the river since UTG+1 calls and Button fold. Let's say button calls one time here so make that an average of 1,33BB

So assuming my thoughts are correct here you will win 2bb here for each 4 situations that is like this (or 0,5bb/hand). I call and bet the river like you did, unless it's a blank nine that rivered and my opponent is aggressive in which case I c/r and get one more bet from him.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:52 AM

What do you think about a raise on the turn. My thinking is I can possibly take down the pot there, or it is only one extra bet to me and a larger pot.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:54 AM

1.) if you really think he has the K, then you can't take the pot down here. I doubt seriously anyone with a K would donk the turn then fold to a raise.

2.) your pot equity is much lower on the turn than it was on the flop. you only have one card to come to complete your straight, and your pair outs are likely dead.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about a raise on the turn. My thinking is I can possibly take down the pot there, or it is only one extra bet to me and a larger pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word, bleh. You played the hand fine. I wouldn't change a thing. It's good to start thinking about these kind of lines, but at this level, you will most likely just get yourself into trouble.

-Jaran
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is bad. You don't want to risk getting raised here and be forced to throw in another bet when you are just on a draw. Check/Call is the way to go since it's likely he have a K. If it was a blank like a deuce, a bet on the turn wouldn't be too bad. I do it like 30% of the time, but in the end, it all depends on the opponent.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:32 PM

Thanks all for the thoughts on the raise, I appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is bad. You don't want to risk getting raised here and be forced to throw in another bet when you are just on a draw. Check/Call is the way to go since it's likely he have a K. If it was a blank like a deuce, a bet on the turn wouldn't be too bad. I do it like 30% of the time, but in the end, it all depends on the opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

why so scary avatar for?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Doom. The best game ever.