Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Is there anyone living you would pay $16k to eat lunch with?

[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can broker this one for a mere 10% commission. PM me.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about someone like Sadaam Hussien, or some other tyrant with translator. I think something like that would be really interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I think this would be a very disruptive lunch.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, it'd be a no-brainer. With the basic investing sense I already have and my current net worth, combined with future earnings potential, I'd know how to get my $16k worth out of that lunch.

I guess I may have overestimated how many people would be making a +EV decision by eating lunch with Buffett, but if you knew what to ask him and what to do with his answers, you don't need much in terms of assets to make him worth your while. There are a lot of smart people who work very hard to make sure Mr. Buffett's money is well-invested. I definitely think the work put into those decisions, combined with Buffett's knowledge and hard work is worth more than 16k.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought too. There was a charity auction a while back that got way more than 16K, by the way.

Also, whoever said "just read the Intelligent Investor, it has his whole investment philosophy" is *far* from correct

Which is not to say that the lunch would be worth 16K unless you have significantly more than 16K in investable assets. Like several hundred thousand at the minimum. I'm sure an hour conversation could make you a notch or two better as an investor, if you already know what you are doing and ask the right questions, but it's not like he's giving away a monster tip or a magic formula. Anyone who has followed his career should know that.

My answer to the OP is no one. If i had a couple million, there might be a few.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:38 PM

L4TV,

What exactly are you going to get out of this lunch that will make it worth the 16k?

Edited to add: The reason people pay that much in a charity auction to have lunch w/ Buffett is to give to charity and get a tax deduction and have lunch w/ Buffett, not to get 16k+ worth of investment advice.

Edited again after L4TV's edit to add: If an hour lunch makes you a notch or two better investor, then you were probably a pretty crappy investor to begin with and it is highly unlikely you would really be able to take advantage of whatever information he is discussing.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
L4TV,

What exactly are you going to get out of this lunch that will make it worth the 16k?

Edited to add: The reason people pay that much in a charity auction to have lunch w/ Buffett is to have lunch w/ Buffett, not to get 16k+ worth of investment advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Edited my post while you were writing.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edited again after L4TV's edit to add: If an hour lunch makes you a notch or two better investor, then you were probably a pretty crappy investor to begin with and it is highly unlikely you would really be able to take advantage of whatever information he is discussing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Responding to be a nit: You really think someone with, oh, $1.6M in assets couldn't pay for the lunch within a year by improving his return by .1%? I said notch, not leap.

Getting off-topic though. I'll throw Joe Dumars out there, if 16K didn't affect me much. Favorite player growing up, architect of the best team in the NBA....
Old 12-19-2005, 08:55 PM

L4TV,

That is not how investing works. That ".1% aha nugget" is just as likely to come from watching some imbecile like Jim Cramer on TV for an hour as it is to come from Buffett. In fact, for the educated investor, it's probably more likely to come from some moron than from Buffett.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would pay 16k to meet Osama Bin Laden for lunch, but the only thing he'd be eating is lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

there we go. The only person Id pay a significant amount of money to eat lunch with, was someone who had a price on their head worth more than the cost of the lunch

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if he told me in advance where we'd be meeting for lunch. Then I'd be fashionably late.

Hello $25 million.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 PM

El Diablo,

Boo yah!

Perrier
Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 PM

I would pay a significant amount of money (not even close to $16000) to have lunch with Wayne Gretzky or perhaps Daniel Negreanu.

"id love to have lunch with mark messier. id pay a pretty penny for that."

Why Mark Messier? Just so you can pull out the "Bet you cant eat just one?!?!"?