Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Milo\'s Weight Loss Prop Bet: One Month Update...

Prop Bet

So I've been limiting myself to under 2000 cal a day, with a target (reached almost every day) of 1800 cal. This is really secondary to the more important goal of daily vigorous exercise (with one recovery day per week). I started this at 232 pounds, and had not exercised in any meaningful way in 5 years or so. The last time I was "fit" was in college, some 20 years ago.

I started with 10 minutes on the elliptical machine, and nearly died. I went to the pool and tried swimming laps, but quickly found myself unable to freestyle even the length of the pool. Struggling along with the breaststroke, I made it a half dozen laps or so.

Today, I swam a half-mile (18 laps) and felt great. I swim a warmup lap, then 17 laps of freestyle down and breaststroke back. I can go 20 minutes fairly hard on an exercise bike or elliptical, which may seem weak to you youngsters, but is pretty amazing to this fat, forty year old dad.

In five weeks, my weight is down to 216, although I expect the progress to slow dramatically at this point. My new long-term goal (in addition to collecting on a $1400 bet is to run in a sprint triathlon (0.3m swim, 14m ride, 5K run) next summer. I will make it.

-Milo
Old 08-27-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Milo\'s Weight Loss Prop Bet: One Month Update...

Good work so far. Best of luck.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:53 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
My new long-term goal (in addition to collecting on a $1400 bet is to run in a sprint triathlon (0.3m swim, 14m ride, 5K run) next summer. I will make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

congrats so far, but i think it's a lot cooler to say you've done something than it is to say you will do it.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:56 PM

congratulations on the hard work.

personally i can't swim laps for sh*t, so 17 laps of freestyle and backstroke is pretty impressive (at least to me). rather than just a weightloss goal, I think having a goal of being able to swim x amount of laps would be good too, and the two goals would go hand in hand.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 PM

Nice job so far and keep it up!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My new long-term goal (in addition to collecting on a $1400 bet is to run in a sprint triathlon (0.3m swim, 14m ride, 5K run) next summer. I will make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

congrats so far, but i think it's a lot cooler to say you've done something than it is to say you will do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it's even cooler to say you're going to do it, and then do it.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mostly correct. It is astronomically cooler to do something than to say you will.

Setting goals, and making them public (enhancing the shame of failure) is an important part of success. My pride is important to me, and when my motivation is weak, the fact that I would have to admit failure to a bunch of degenerates will push me to keep going.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Today, I swam a half-mile (18 laps) and felt great. I swim a warmup lap, then 17 laps of freestyle down and breaststroke back.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this in only 1 month. Well done!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:09 PM

It's cool to tell people who don't care how cool they look how to end up looking cool?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:19 PM

I'm impressed. Not surprised in the least, but still impressed.

Well done Milo. Keep up the good work man, it may slow down but you're feeling good, and you'll only feel better. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]