Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 AM

Default your post-game routine

Hi,

I've been playing seriously for a few months now, but I have yet to develop a system for going over my hands. I noticed a while back, when KKF was considering selling his database, he mentioned having game notes on many (if not all?) of the big hands. To the top players--is there a systematic routine many of you follow? Also, how do you go about identifying leaks that don't show up in big hands (ie--I open too often with suited connectors, and play too predictably when I miss the flop. Nobody wants to read threads about this.)

Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: your post-game routine

If I made a lot of money, I feel good that I escaped while ahead so much and I have a good laugh at such inferior poker players as my opponents. If I broke even, I blame it on cards not working out for me. If I lost money, I blame it on multiple bad beats or just cards not working out (missed flops, bluffs not working, etc.).

I rarely have an important hand that I have to think about--a lot of the time, decisions are fairly obvious or just a matter of percentages. This is all based on games where most of my opponents play straightforwardly (the regulars) or straightforwardly and poorly (the fish). I try to avoid tough games, although I'm being stupid/arrogant recently and sitting in them.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the response.

I, too, enjoy having a laugh at my opponents when I take their money--they usually deserve a lot of the credit.

I know a lot of hands are standard, but I still have a hard time believing that I'm not making a mistake by letting all these hands go by without study. Maybe I should just play more? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:05 AM

Sometimes i recount big pots, usually ones that i lost. And see if there was a better way to play the pot to either minimize loss, or win the pot out right. It just helps to look at situations with a clear head when you are not in the heat of action. Also, i try to review my play over all, was i too lose to tight, why did i lose or win. Was it the cards fault or my own
Old 11-15-2005, 06:38 PM

Hi,

I remembered this (now in the archives, but the download still seems to work) handy program:
Hand Helper

Basically, it is a Poker Tracker helper app - it lists the hands as they are imported, and a double click tags the hand. When you are done playing, click "export", and all the tagged hands are written out so that you can review them.

When playing, whenever you finish a hands and think "Doh! - that was a poor show [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]", tag the hand, reload and get your A-game going. Later, read over the export, think how you should have played, post hand if necessary, try and do better next time, etc.

Standard suggested routine for hand review is to use PT to sort by won/lost, and review the biggest winning & losing hands in the last session. This program helps you catch the hands in the middle also, where for example you won a small pot, but missed out on value by playing badly.

Also, use PokerStove to ensure that you were putting in the money when you were ahead on the pots where you got stacked - It can be re-assuring to know you had a the best of it when the money went in, simply a bad beat. Either that or you were putting the chips when way behind - obviously if this happens a lot there are leaks to be fixed. You can also check you were ahead when you stacked others, rather than lucky enough to hit that one outer.

I think these are useful tools for reviewing my sessions, you may too.

dave.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:12 PM

jerk off, eat nachos, prank call barron von toth
Old 11-16-2005, 03:18 AM

dave,

that hand helper looks very useful, though i still haven't figure out what my pt user id is. thanks for the good suggestions.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jerk off, eat nachos, prank call barron von toth

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty funny. nice work.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:39 AM

isnt it barron van tooth
Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]