Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Poker Club for Charity on Campus

G'morning.

I've been talking with a few classmates of mine and we recently had a discussion about contributing a portion of our monthly winnings to a charity of some sort. The 3-4 of us who talked about this are all fairly successful players ranging from 5/10-30/60. Everyone seems in favor of doing something to give back, so we've been developing a possible student group on campus to expand this idea.

Basically, we would get 5-6 experienced players to teach beginners how to play poker. We would meet 1-2 times a week, spend about 1 hour teaching some new poker concept, then break down into tables to play some cheap .25/.5 limit games and help give people experience. We would flip over cards after every hand and help evaluate the way people played. In return for our services, we would require that they give us 15% of their monthly winnings to donate to charity. Every month we would take a vote among all who donated about which charity to give to. All teachers would also donate the appropriate 15% each month.

Now this idea is still very much in the developmental stages, but I really think it could work. We will be creating an official student group to do this and will be at the start-of-year club fair where we expect to get a solid sign up list of 100-150 people. If we can keep even 10 of those players as regular contributors, then this club can be veyr successful.

What I'm looking for is any advice from people who have started similar clubs, pitfalls to watch out for, or something creative that can make the club even better. Also, perhaps I can inspire someone else to consider this concept on their campus, or to at least contribute some of their own profits to a worthy cause.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Poker Club for Charity on Campus

If the player loses, do you pay her %15 of her losses?

Seriously though, look for legal issues before doing this. Typically, hosting poker games through the school's official name doesn't look very good. I do like the idea of donating to charity.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Sounds like a really cool idea. But...very hard in practice. Good luck though.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:57 PM

given our administration's past actions toward poker players/games, i really can't see you succeeding in getting this done officially.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 PM

What would be even cooler is if you could host frequent games and donate the rake to charity.