Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Full time players - plateaus

For those who play full time, or support themselves primarily through poker - what is your longest plateau in terms of hours? And if it was when you started playing (e.g. break-even player for x hours until I started winning), what is your longest plateau since you began winning?

I'm not referring to a specific game or limit, I am just talking about overall results.

You can include rakeback or not if you want.

I have been playing for a couple of years, supporting myself primarily through poker for around 1 year, and recently came off a 350 hour plateau. It was a result of running bad at my typical games (5/10 short, 10/20 full live, and various others), taking shots at higher games than I was bankrolled for, coping with living costs, and having to rebuild at lower limits.

If I had managed my bankroll a little better, I suppose I wouldn't have encountered such a bad plateau. Needless to say, I'm glad to be off of it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Full time players - plateaus

Like you, I've been supporting myself off my poker winnings for about a year now.

I had a 10 day break even stretch in early February.
In these 10 days, I had my two worst losing days ever (up until that time) wiping out my profits for those 10 days.
About 40 hours worth of play.

I play in games that I know I have an edge (Multi-tabling NL 200 games), and keep my variance to a minimum by primarily playing full ring/tight style, and not getting involved in marginal situations; as I know this plateau period is not a lengthy one.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Full time players - plateaus

Nate tha' Great, one of the best players/posters on this site had a 60k hands break even streak