Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 04:38 PM

Default $50 NLH Party KK Hand

partypoker 50 max nl holdem. i have $100 and limp utg w/ red kings. folded to sb who raises to $4. he raises tons of hands and calls $5-$10 preflop raises w/ hands like QJo. he also has me covered. moron bb calls. i make it $15 to go, sb calls, bb raises $4 more all-in. i'm sure he has nothing. i wish i could reraise but can't so i call, sb calls.

pot is $55, flop is 5h 8d 9c. sb bets $40, i raise to $81 all-in, he calls. turn is 7c, river Tc. he wins w/75s. (bb had 32h btw).

did i do anything wrong here? aeonblues, you were at the table, if you have any thoughts i'd love to hear them.

thanks, robPG
Old 06-29-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: $50 NLH Party KK Hand

The only mistake I can see is that your reraise preflop left the BB with $4. Just raise that bit more and get him all-in. Of course as it turned out he did that for you, and it doesn't really matter either way, but I like to set people all-in when possible because it's psychologically powerful, in my opinion. Also, a slightly larger raise might get the SB to fold, but probably not given the way he's playing.

An alternative approach is to reraise by exactly half of the BB's stack. Then if he decides to go all-in preflop, you get to reraise again.

Guy.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:48 PM

Arg, I curse the poker gods for rewarding your opponet with ungodly luck. You played fine. If your 1st raise is $4 more, what diferance does it make, your opponet will call anyway, and you'll end up with the same pot, and the same flop....

I look at poker from a houses perspective. Your opponet over played his hand from the get go, and got very lucky and out drew you. Now you have to pay him. But you should, I know it's hard, you should feel good about the fact that you got all in against a hand that was a conciderable under dog. You won in the long run, and that's all that counts.

KK wins more money for me than any other 2 cards. I think this is because I'm more likely to get called pre flop with KK than AA, as it is more likely that an A is out. Over the last 21 times I was dealt KK, I won 19 times, for an average of +27.43 per hand. The 2 times I was beat, all in on turn, river made flush...

AeonBlues
Old 06-30-2003, 07:07 PM

I have once had an opportunity to do the following:

limp in UTG with AA, knowing there is a hyper aggressive behind me, he raises about 4X the blind, and a player in the middle who is almost out of chips calls.

I looked at the player who was almost all-in and made a minimum re-raise because it would leave him enough to open the betting with an all-in raise without short raising, thus reopening the betting to me. It only worked once, but it was sweet.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 AM

"Arg, I curse the poker gods for rewarding your opponet with ungodly luck"

Why would you curse the poker gods for giving the money to a weak spot? If I can't win I want the ones that have to get lucky to win. In any case he hit a 9 outer twice (pair and a gut shot if I remember the board and hand correctly). Thats not even close to uncommon (~35%).
Old 07-01-2003, 01:07 AM

probably was a complete fish. he got lucky.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:47 AM

The only mistake you made here is if you failed to immediately buy more chips after you went bust.

al
Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 PM

Beautiful. I did it once too, and I was extremely proud of myself for realising the situation ahead of time. I hope you were suitably proud of yourself too.

Incidentally I would never have thought of this if it weren't for one of Reuben's anecdotes in the book with Ciaffone... Told you it was valuable!

Guy.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:59 PM

I don't like the $15 pre-flop raise. The problem is it leaves SB in a perfect situation on the flop. The $40 bet was perfect for him. You don't have enough left when you go all-in to wreck his odds. With 9 outs, he has an easy call. So the problem is your pre-flop raise puts you in an unfortunate situation on the flop.

You could sandbag pre-flop and wait till the flop to make a move. If the flop had only $12 in it, and SB more or less bet the pot, then your going all-in would wreck his odds. Or you could get your money in the pot pre-flop and hope you get a call.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:14 PM

thanks for the replies all. a couple comments:

i love the reraise just enough to let the bb make a full all-in reraise play. i will definitely have to keep that in mind and i appreciate the suggestion.

tewall, i think you're correct about my reraise to $15 making his flop play correct. on the flop his bet and call were as you say fine. flat calling and seeing the flop is viable; however, if i want to reraise preflop, what amount would you recommend instead of $15 (controlling for stack sizes)?

thanks, rob