Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Slow play with Aces?

Fairly typical Party 3/6 game; I only read on either of the players in the hand is that the button is pretty aggressive. I'm in the big blind with AsAh utg calls all fold to button who raises. I just smooth call hoping to disguise my hand, and not minding seeing the flop 3 handed. The flop comes [ Ad, Ks, 3d ] I check, UTG checks and button bets again I call. I'm not too worried about this flop, and I want to pop the turn when the bets go up. The turn is [ 8h ] I check, utg check and the button bets, I checkraise, and both call. The river is [ 8c ] I bet out Utg raises button calls. I reraise utg calls, and button folds. My boat is good for a $109 pot.

I realize I got the best of all possible outcomes here, but did I play the hand right? Was there a way to extract more bets with this hand?

thanks,
Old 09-26-2003, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Slow play with Aces?

I almost always jam preflop with AA. If it's headsup I sometimes hide my strength my just calling, but against two opponents in a 3/6 on-line game I'd raise.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:34 PM

ill make that move preflop with AA KK or QQ in a short handed pot. basically because you know those 2 gys will call your raise preflop. youll gain more punishing them on other streets. No way they put you on aces when theres no raise from you preflop. Good play
Old 09-26-2003, 03:54 PM

I don't like that play unless it's headsup. The biggest amount of luck in HE is on the flop. Someone could flop a better hand than my AA, say trips, or a good draw. So I would like to try to get it headsup. I know the raiser isn't going to fold, but maybe you can get the other guy out. Also you know you have the best hand right now, so build as big a pot as possible.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:57 PM

in my opinion, there are too many ways the hand can go bad when you are up against multiple opponents to slow play a big PP too far. the smooth call here may be ok, but what if there's no raise? do you just limp in?

i feel like a two-street slow play here is too much, and you are just asking to finish up the hand kicking yourself when you don't flop the set, or in this case when QJ turns his straight or the flush draw comes in without pairing the board.

maybe i'm just still smarting from trying to be tricky last night and limping with KK, only to be crushed by J7 in the BB flopping a straight. but in my book slowplaying through a turn check raise is just waiting too long, especially with a less favorable board than seen in this hand. it worked well here, but i don't think you would have made much less by showing some aggression.