Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Importance of chip tricks

If you have to specify where dark helmet is from, the joke isn't worth making.

but the real question is, do you flip the mask up or down when in a hand? and when you have the nuts, do you put the mask down and state, "Keep firing A$$holes!"?

That would be good fun.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:46 PM

IF there is merit to this, and IF that merit is to your advantage, then its more subjective than "getting them not to bluff". It would be enhancing their over-all fear which causes them to play tentatively.

A genuine fraction of a second hesitation in the opponent is gold you your pocket.

- Louie
Old 09-26-2003, 03:23 PM

the tricks he did were impressive. When your hat good at chip tricks people have to take notice.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:15 PM

When you see this, all it proves is that the person has spent enough time sitting around a table to learn to do these tricks. Ergo, you might need to be wary of him at first, but after a while, just like any other stereotype, you eventually will know for sure whether or not he knows how to play poker and then the stereotype is either confirmed or rejected.

The fact that Mr Boyd would say this earnestly says a lot about his own ability, or at least his ability to size up other players.

I play at a private cardroom in my town that's full of people who shuffle chips, wear all kinds of jewelry, spout lingo, and do all kinds of other things that make it quite clear that they play a lot of poker, yet they are only marginally better than the WPT newbie crowd - they will still chase their gutshot draws and complain about how "pocket aces never win".

Stereotypes are important, but just to get you started. Mike Caro's old tells book has a great chapter on the importance of stereotypes with new players and what to expect from their play until actual evidence tells you otherwise.

And yes, I came to this thread 3 months late, and not surprisingly, Dutch Boyd is still an idiot and most importantly, a thief.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:05 PM

Chip tricks fall into the same category as anything imitated off TV. Many players copy WPT and WSOP style play, and also try to act like the players they see. They probably think its important to do tricks, and have spent more time learning them than learning to play. On the other hand, good players know how to do them too. They've been around the poker table enough that they picked it up. I don't take whether or not someone can do chip tricks into account, and when I do them I'm not trying to look like the greatest poker player on earth. I'm just figiting.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:11 PM

Day late, dollar short, etc., but....

(a) Dutch Boyd was kidding. He talked about this in another thread here on 2+2. He was having fun in front of the camera, hamming it up and acting silly, and didn't realize until he saw the telecast that he looked like an absolute idiot.

(b) I play with my chips to pass the time at the table, because I fold a lot of hands, and I suspect that's why most players do as well. And since I do fold a lot of hands, I've had a lot of time to practice. But do the chip tricks intimidate anyone? Nope. I'd rather my play did that....

Cris
Old 12-08-2003, 10:36 AM

And yes, I came to this thread 3 months late, and not surprisingly, Dutch Boyd is still an idiot and most importantly, a thief.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a few posts saying this. What do you guys know that the rest of us don't? I saw the WSOP clip and thought it was funny, but I certainly don't know the guy.

Dang, I hate it when I don't have the whole story.

twomarks
Old 12-08-2003, 11:22 AM

Look in the Internet Forum.

He founded an online site and later shut it down without refunding several hundreds of thousands of dollars still sitting in player accounts.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:21 PM

Dutch Boyd is still an idiot and most importantly, a thief.

I can't comment at all on the second part, and only with zero authority on the first.

Boyd doesn't strike me as an idiot. From interviews I've read, he actually seems quite intelligent. But I understand why many players have such animosity towards him.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:23 PM

Lets not confuse "evil" or "unethical" with "stupid". Hitler, Edi Amin, and Sadam Husain were dang near geniuses. As is Bill Clinton. And lets not confuse "honest" with "smart". George Bush ...

- Louie