Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Plasma TV questions

Thinking of replacing our aging 27" CRT with a 42" plasma monitor. Looking at the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY. It's a no-frills industrial display with no built-in tuner (which is fine) and somewhat limited inputs, but it's supposed to have the best picture in its class, which is what I care most about. It's also EDTV (not HDTV), but this isn't an issue with me, either, as there appears to be little quality difference between the two formats on screens smaller than 50" (reference). Unfortunately, it's also last year's model and I can't find one locally to check out, but I hope to pick one online after the holidays, when (presumably) I should be able to find a better deal on 2005 models...

Anyone here familiar with this display or with plasma TV's in general? Any opinions/experiences welcome.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Plasma TV questions

I will be purchasing this exact TV. I did my homework via CNET (which I trust) and I mean, for the price you can't lose. I say go for it.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Thanks -- we probably read the same sources, lol, as I also read the material on CNET. Yeah, it seems like both a bargain and the class of the field.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 PM

just get the MAXENT at best buy...it's panny glass and electronics and is HD resolution

i don't care what cnet says, I can tell a difference when hd content is playing on edtv and it bothers me

go for the hd resolution; u won't be sorry
Old 12-09-2005, 04:16 PM

I have found CNet user opinions to often have good nuggets inbetween a lot of crap.

The CNet reviews I have found to be paid off or something because sometimes they are way off.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM

This is supposedly one of the best plasmas for the money. Check out www.avsforum.com you'll find everything you've ever wanted to know.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Saying that you can't tell the difference between HD and ED is the same as saying you can't tell the difference between ED and SD, in which case why spend the extra money at all? Get an SD display.

(Of course what I really mean is get an HD display.)
Old 12-09-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking of replacing our aging 27" CRT with a 42" plasma monitor. Looking at the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY. It's a no-frills industrial display with no built-in tuner (which is fine) and somewhat limited inputs, but it's supposed to have the best picture in its class, which is what I care most about. It's also EDTV (not HDTV), but this isn't an issue with me, either, as there appears to be little quality difference between the two formats on screens smaller than 50" (reference). Unfortunately, it's also last year's model and I can't find one locally to check out, but I hope to pick one online after the holidays, when (presumably) I should be able to find a better deal on 2005 models...

Anyone here familiar with this display or with plasma TV's in general? Any opinions/experiences welcome.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) for AV information, go to avsforums.com. it's the 2+2 of TV's. don't trust what 1 guy says on CNET; who knows who is paying his bills.

you'll see that there IS a big difference between EDTV and HDTV. of course, factors such as viewing distance are most important.

finally, that article is correct in saying that the resolution of 42 inch "HDTV" plasmas are not "true HD", and for this reason, I wouldn't buy a 42 inch HD plasma.

what I would buy would depend on my budget and needs. if I needed to hang the thing on a wall, I would get a bigger plasma or HD LCD. if not, I would buy a Sammy DLP.