Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-17-2005, 07:12 PM

Default linear algebra

I'm going to be taking linear algebra over the winter intersession at my college this winter. Basically it is a semester divided by 3, so the class is accelerated. What can I do to prepare for the class itself? I believe it has an emphasis on matrices, but I'm not sure. My math grades are decent mostly A's and B's and that is why I'm attempting the class, what advice can anyone give.

-2nd year mathematics major
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: linear algebra

it's mostly matrix and vector math. it's not a very hard class.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM

A very large portion of it will be matrices, which are fairly easy. Just keep your work written out neatly and they're simple. Later you'll probably get into vectors and possibly complex numbers. This course should be fairly easy for you, but with your accelerated class, you should try not to miss anything or else you might get left behind.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Just keep in mind that a vector space is just a module over a ring with special structure (a commutative division ring) and you should have no problem remembering it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, there are a ton of linear algebra texts online. You could peruse some of those and get a feel for what you'll be doing.

Homework assignment: what is a commutative division ring usually called? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Homework assignment: what is a commutative division ring usually called? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer in white: <font color="white"> A field.</font>
Old 11-17-2005, 09:17 PM

Review how to solve systems of linear equations. There are two widely known techniques, and the one used in your linear algebra course will likely be Gaussian elimination (because it is some sense the best algorithm). Understanding how to solve systems of linear equations using Gaussian elimination will give you a head start in the course.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:06 PM

Read a book on linear algebra, preferably the set book for the course.

Was it a trick question?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 PM

For me, Linear Algebra was always tedious, and pretty easy. A lot of times you have to practice mundane problems to get the motions down. Things become a lot more abstract, but make sure you have the definitions memorized, and you quickly realize it's nothing complicated.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 PM

get 'an introduction to linear algebra' by gil strang at MIT. regardless of the text you use for your class, use his as supplemental reading (it is written so that a high school kid with a little aptitude could understand it), then go to MITs webpage and watch all of his lectures for the course online (theres like 35 one hour lectures free online). he is known there as the 'linear algebra guru', and this book/course is his version of 'linear algebra for dummies', if such a thing exists. guaranteed A in your class.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 AM

thanks for the insight, I'll pick up the book mentioned above