Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: 55: layin down AKo

[ QUOTE ]
I think its an easy fold and I think it would be very presumptive to assume you are in a race here. The only hand I think you are ahead of that he does this with is AQ and most players won't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it be presumptive to assume you're in a race here? Villain has restolen many pots in the past, do you think this is the 1 time that he's actually got AA or KK? If he does, more power to him, but if not, then I'll take the race situation with the chip stacks and the dead money in the pot.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:16 PM

Folding wouldn't even cross my mind.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:20 PM

i folded because i wasnt getting 2-1 on my money(i dont think)....and i figure i could fold and still have a presence when stealing future blinds...i ended up winning this tourny beating that same guy....ironic..
Old 11-14-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i folded

[/ QUOTE ]

dont ever do that again. You have way too good pot odds to fold, folding is criminal in this spot.
No matter how good you are you wont be able to overcome the profit of calling in this spot.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM

I misread this when I first read it. I thought the second biggest stack was the one that went all-in. That's a more difficult question.

Here even if you lose, you've got enough chips to likely finish in the money, especially given that you play better than your opponents.

Your tournament equity if you fold is 23%. If you call and win, 34%; call and lose 15%. If you win 45% of the time, you'll break even. From the way you described things, you're probably better than 60% to win here, so calling is +EV by a lot, probably raising your equity to about 27%.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i folded because i wasnt getting 2-1 on my money(i dont think)....and i figure i could fold and still have a presence when stealing future blinds...i ended up winning this tourny beating that same guy....ironic..

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need 2-1.

It isn't ironic.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you fold here I seriously question if you're a winner at the $55's. Sorry to pile on the band wagon, but it's just a heads up that you are missing some very fundamental concepts.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 PM

If you see me at your 55's - fold this instantly -

I would have sucked out with my AQs anyway.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the villain here has restolen a few pots...but he is putting his whole stack on the line here and i definitely dont need to give my chips away to aa or kings....i dont even need a race here....is this an easy fold????

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold if you hate money. AK is a big favorite over the range of hands with which I would push in the villain's place, particularly if I have identified you as a weak player, and you are getting great odds to call. I think folding would cost a bit under a half buy-in of equity.

Let me guess: You think AK is "only a drawing hand." You think if you turn out to be a 55-45 underdog, you should regret calling. Neither of these is true.

Do you normally play 55s?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 AM

i normally multi table the 55s....my roi and itm defintely puts me in the winning player side....i normally wouldnt think twice about calling here...but i juss took a huge downswing and ive been playing scared poker during certain situations....