Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-10-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Assessment

Bank account: $1,791.24
Party poker account: $1192.92
Cash in hand: $500? maybe

Bank account down from 15k in 2-3 months... I bought too many toys and had to pay off school loans. I have no expenses. I promised to never replenish my poker account from 6k 2-3 months ago whenever I withdrew it all.

Poker... I tilt badly and I run bad or maybe I just suck. I had 4.5k yesterday haha, then this and more losing.

I also manage to always lose whenever I'm upset even though I think I'm playing fine. Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that I'm a winning player at any form of LHE or NL, including SNGs, what would be the fastest way to rebuild? I'm not redepositing... I should have had 2k in rakeback coming to me, but 1k died with pokershare and I'm still waiting for the other 1k from another site.

I don't really know... I think it's because I am upset about other aspects of my life and it shows itself in poker.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Assessment

Find a way to be a happy, then play poker.

Maybe find a new site to play on? I always play my best when I join a new site because I'm not bored of it yet.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 AM

Moesky wtf? I haven't seen you in the longest time and then you pop out of nowhere.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 AM

I can't tell from your stats how much EV you lost from tilting or playing bad, but you obviously ran really bad. You dropped 168 BB or so...that's a downswing that can happen at LHE.

Your BR wasn't big enough to play those limits (particularly 10/20) without some not insignificant risk of going broke. I don't know whether you are trying to play for a living or whatever, but I hope not because you don't have a BR for it. I would suggest slowly rebuilding your bankroll. Now, even playing 3/6 has some risk of ruin. You need to assess why you are playing poker and whether you are willing to slowly grind your way back up the limits. I think a lot of people in your situation keep playing limits high enough to run a risk of ruin. And I suspect a lot of them bust out at some point and have to find a way to earn outside cash to start the cycle over again.

Personally, as a recreational player myself, I focus on maintaining a discipline to play within my BR and be willing to play a lower limit when appropriate (be it for BR reasons or to work on my game or for game selection reasons). It's not easy, but I think it's the winning play.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:12 AM

8table 2/4 or 3/6 for a month. if youre good at poker youll have a bankroll in no time seriously.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:38 AM

Sucks bro. Seems like you have some pretty crappy money management, even when you don't have a lot of cash.

Play some 3/6, just [censored] grind it out. Stop spending money on stupid stuff.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
8table 2/4 or 3/6 for a month. if youre good at poker youll have a bankroll in no time seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some good bonuses and just crush some low games. While I'm all for playing a lot of games well, everyone should have a specialty or 2.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:36 AM

You know this stuff already, but you really should have a 500+ BB bankroll for 10/20 6-max or whatever, which is untouchable.

I really don't know how a player of your experience has got themselves into this situation. It's pretty dumb, because youv'e now limited your earn potential for the next month or two through poor money manegement. It's like being an investor with nothing to invest. Just grind a 10k roll back out, and then leave it well alone.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Well, i'm not going to try and sugar coat this. You need to learn to manage your money better, and you should have learned this after you over extended yourself last time and lost a big chunk of your role. I think people on these forums read the stories of people like James, BK, etc... and want to emulate how quickly they progressed. These guys are phenomenal players who also ran well at some good times, and i'm sure they will both tell you that.

So, on to rebuilding. You need to have at least 600 BB for any stake level you play. Go to 2-4 right now. Play there until you get like a 3k role and move to 3-6. You can be at 5-10 within 2-3 months, and once you get there its more than possible to make $80-$125/hour there. You can rebuild your role quickly there.

From this day on, your goal should be to NEVER take an uncalculated risk. I dont give a [censored] how good a higher game looks, you need to reduce your ROR and grind it out. This part of the process is not fun, but it's develops your maturity as a player which will prevent this from happening in the future. There is no way you should have been playing 10-20 yesterday. Best of luck rebuilding your role.

Gabe
Old 11-10-2005, 11:57 AM

This is very solid.