Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 09-20-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Should i continue with online poker career or return to 9-5 job?

Are you sure you can get a job at your old salary after being in poker for 18 months? New releases of software usually come out every 18 months or less and it only takes 6 months or so for you to lose some of your technical skills.

Is money that important that you want to be unhappy 8 hours a day?

Suggest to your wife that she get a job. Tell her you will watch the kids when she's at work and play poker at night. That should get her off your back for a while.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:45 AM

lol, for a 23 yr old kid you sure are jumpping to conclusions about married life. But you have hit a good point.

No my wife is not thinking about leaving me, she is just a bit frustrated with situation at times, and its understandable.

However, i will say this. If we could rewind our lives back 12 yeasr to when we first met and hooked up, if i were to have told her back then that in 10 years from now i will stop working an office job and play poker for a living to support my future family, i don't know if she would have wanted to go much further with me. And could you blame her.

And i bet that goes for most other wives of current internet or live poker pros....
Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 AM

i want to be a stay at home dad, seems like a sweet scam.

[ QUOTE ]
lol, for a 23 yr old kid you sure are jumpping to conclusions about married life. But you have hit a good point.

No my wife is not thinking about leaving me, she is just a bit frustrated with situation at times, and its understandable.

However, i will say this. If we could rewind our lives back 12 yeasr to when we first met and hooked up, if i were to have told her back then that in 10 years from now i will stop working an office job and play poker for a living to support my future family, i don't know if she would have wanted to go much further with me. And could you blame her.

And i bet that goes for most other wives of current internet or live poker pros....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. My wife isn't having any problems with it. ;-)

Hope whichever decision you end up making, that you're happy with it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Greg, thanks for you reply. Outside from occasional wisecracks here, these 2+2 boards are fantastic place to voice these thoughts and have people who really understand you give useful feedback.

Obviously greg with you your wife is very happy now, with your last 16 months which made most people entire career worth of earning in 1 spot.

But what about just before that, when you were still doing OK, but struggling to get by, and having to resort to solicite backers for entering poker tournaments.

At time it must have been tough or a bit awkward for her too. How did it make you feel?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg, thanks for you reply. Outside from occasional wisecracks here, these 2+2 boards are fantastic place to voice these thoughts and have people who really understand you give useful feedback.

Obviously greg with you your wife is very happy now, with your last 16 months which made most people entire career worth of earning in 1 spot.

But what about just before that, when you were still doing OK, but struggling to get by, and having to resort to solicite backers for entering poker tournaments.

At time it must have been tough or a bit awkward for her too. How did it make you feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to answer for Greg, but he wasn't just playing poker - he was a working attorney. He also was playing higher stakes than you are, and had a solid reputation at the tables and here...........neither of which you currently have.

I'm not trying to be an AH here, but based on your posts over the past six months I would say you had some excellent results the first 25K hands, then fell into a losing mode. Perhaps you have gotten back to where you are making 1-2BB per hour, but I make the assumptiion that you are back at the $5 tables and heading for a yearly earn of wellunder $100K. If this is the case, consider the job more heavily.

If I am wrong, and you are making over $100K, take some of the cash you have and get an office. Start a small business as a software consultant, and spend time at your office looking for clients, and playing poker online. This will make you an independant businessman, and everybody will think your main income is coming from your "profession" of software developement. If you are really successful at poker, there will be plenty of money to pay your bills, you might even get a software client, and you can travel to tournaments. If you are not really successful, then you won't have money for bills, and you will be forced to get a real job.....your talent in poker will lead the way.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 01:35 PM

I set the over/under at three weeks before you'd start looking for a regular job.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggest to your wife that she get a job. Tell her you will watch the kids when she's at work and play poker at night. That should get her off your back for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]Spoken like a man who is single!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:01 PM

well thanks for the "inspiring" post dog.

I ask greg an honest question, which directly relates to the original thread content, and you use it to let me know how greg was a hi limit player, a respected poster and an attorney, and i'm none of these things.

Thats fine if thats your opinion, but it has nothing to do with the matter at hand. My question related to how it affected his personal life prior to the big results.

And in same measure, if greg was such a successful hi limit player, according to you logic of poker taking care of itself if your good, why would he have to solicite backers?? Not that i think theres anything wrong with it..

And no, i am far removed from $5 sng, and am still doing wuite well at the game. In fact things right now have been going better in that respect.

As for that infamous post with my 25k hand results....yes it was a poor decision on my behalf, and i apologized for it.

And although i posted it as an honest question because i was baffled at the time myself at it......i later on realized that i did make a mistake, albeit unintentional.

At the time, you remember you had to request hh's from party..100 at a time via email. Well at time i had split them up between losing weeks and winning weeks into 2 seprate folders on my laptop.

On PT, it only included the winning weeks from automated reader download. Couple that with fact that at time i was having a very good stretch, so i didnt notice the few extra hh's were missing.

I can't belive i missed that oversight, but even when i did include them, i still had a hi win rate at time, but obvioulsy not as hi as previously indicated.

Anyways, i hope i could have avoided that whole thing, but like i said, i apologized, and thats all i can do.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well thanks for the "inspiring" post dog.

I ask greg an honest question, which directly relates to the original thread content, and you use it to let me know how greg was a hi limit player, a respected poster and an attorney, and i'm none of these things.

Thats fine if thats your opinion, but it has nothing to do with the matter at hand. My question related to how it affected his personal life prior to the big results.

And in same measure, if greg was such a successful hi limit player, according to you logic of poker taking care of itself if your good, why would he have to solicite

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, I'll call a truce between us. I am not trying to be an insensitive jerk here, but my response that you are not playing the limits Greg played and don't have his respect on 2+2 are true - by your admission, it's my opinion. You are correct. If everybody else thinks you are great, well that's terrific.

However, greg had an agreement with his wife about his poker playing and financing it, he had very good results with-in the games he was playing, and that's what got people interested in backing him. I dare say you might not have as much success getting backers........

Now, back to your original question of whether you should keep playing poker or get a job - well, I guess you didn't like my answer there either. I didn't realize you wanted to be "inspired," I though you wanted an honest opinion, and I can only give an opinion based on your previous posts. So be it, sorry if I insulted you, I'm sure you are a great individual and also a very tallented player. I'll keep my opinions about you and your situation to myself from now on. Have a nice life.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]