Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 10:22 AM

Default When is the time to move up in limits?

Obviously, when you make enough consistantly from your current limits and built up enough of a bankroll to sustain you at the next higher limit, and see how it goes there.

However, playing online mostly i am finding this a bit of a challenge due to the restricted nature at the next limit.

For the most part, i have been playing 10/20 6 max, and $100 NL SNG over the course of the past year straight.

Have been doing well for long time now, and have occasionally ventured to the 15/30, 20/40, and $200 SNG.

But here is the issue.

There are 10/20 6 max games aplenty going on to choose from. 15/30 6 max at most 4 or 5 tables, each of them very tough to get on, and they are also stocked with very good players. The fish ratio very low there. For the jump from 10/20 to 15/30, the additional risk for the higher calibre opposition doesnt justify the 1/2 level limit increase.

And 20/40 there arent any at party.

As for the SnG's, I find my results at $100 SNG very good, but at $200 they are merely OK. Again there i find a very noticable improvement in the level of opposition. Again, i think it has something to do with the $200 SNG being the highest level they offer, so all the cream of the crop will congregate there since they cant move any higher.

If they also had $300 or $400 SNG a good portion of those players would move up from $200 but as it is, they sit there.

Don't get me wrong, i can hold my own at those limits, but my time is valuable and i just don't think that the move from $100 to $200 justifies the added sharks you'll encounter cuz they got nowhere else to go.

So i am finding it tough to move up.

I know stars offers more choice in that regard, but i do find stars to have the toughest games on the net.