Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Should I play 5/10 at the Taj?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's possible to lose 50 big bets in any limit game. I have never done it.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is either shananigans or you're weak tight. If your raising with strong hands preflop and raising with draws and trying to extract every penny out of a table that you can then there are going to be nights where you miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss and before you know it, you've dropped 50 - 100BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play tight aggressive. I don't play many hands. Maybe that explains it.

You certainly need some bankroll to play 5/10, but not a huge one.

You won't get the consistant results you can get multitabling low buyin cash games or SNGs online, so you could easily lose $500 or so for the weekend, and that doesn't mean you can't beat the game.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is either shananigans or you're weak tight. If your raising with strong hands preflop and raising with draws and trying to extract every penny out of a table that you can then there are going to be nights where you miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss and before you know it, you've dropped 50 - 100BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I suck, but I think that if you're really aggressive you're going to have sessions where you lose 50BB. Perhaps you have a "stop loss" plan at 25BB? I just don't see how you can be truel aggressive and not run 50BB bad from time to time.

~FishNChips
Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I suck, but I think that if you're really aggressive you're going to have sessions where you lose 50BB. Perhaps you have a "stop loss" plan at 25BB? I just don't see how you can be truel aggressive and not run 50BB bad from time to time.

~FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably a difference in our styles. I play tight and don't play real aggressive at limit. I wil raise good hands and try to steal pots at tight tables, but I am not capping a lot.

If you are playing 5/10, it only costs you about $45/hour if you don't play hands. So in 6 hours, you lose $270 by not playing any hands. I find it hard to lose twice that playing hands. But I am playing very tight, taking advantage of the looseness of these games.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played 10k hands on party 1/2. I am averaging 1.5BB/100
Im no stranger to live game either. Will I hold my own at Taj 5/10?

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands is a small sample size, but the average 5/10 taj player has the poker IQ of a small bowling ball. If you play a good game, avoid tilt, and pick the soft games, you will beat this game very easily in the long run.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably a difference in our styles. I play tight and don't play real aggressive at limit. I wil raise good hands and try to steal pots at tight tables, but I am not capping a lot.

If you are playing 5/10, it only costs you about $45/hour if you don't play hands. So in 6 hours, you lose $270 by not playing any hands. I find it hard to lose twice that playing hands. But I am playing very tight, taking advantage of the looseness of these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is patently ridiculous. Sorry. Betgo, I understand the gist of what you're saying, but I do have to be honest with you: for an EV maximizing player, there is absolutely, positively no way to play well and not run into semi-frequent 50BB downswings. Now, in online play (with more h/hr and multi tables) things get even worse, with easy downswings of 100BB or more all the time. You get used to it. As you've mentioned, large upswings happen as well.

The bottom line, however, is that even with perfect play, no amount of difference in "style" can save a player from 50BB+ swings. Of course, you could sacrifice EV to diminish variance (e.g tighten way the hell up), but that's a foolish path to take if you want to actually win money while playing.

My conclusion: you are either missing LOTS of bets, or more likely are just being unintentionally disingenious about the lack of swings in your game.

To the OP: look, you can probably beat this game without breaking a sweat, but that's not the only element in the equation of "Should I play this game." Bad [censored] can happen, and happen fast in limit hold'em, and if you don't plan for that possibility, you will have done yourself a disservice.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've played 10k hands on party 1/2. I am averaging 1.5BB/100
Im no stranger to live game either. Will I hold my own at Taj 5/10?

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands is a small sample size, but the average 5/10 taj player has the poker IQ of a small bowling ball. If you play a good game, avoid tilt, and pick the soft games, you will beat this game very easily in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed in full. Notice the emphasis added, however. I don't get the sense OP is planning on plunking his ass down and playing 350K hands to reach this "long run" you speak of.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM

You CAN hit 50 bb loss in night at 5-10. There are nights where all your good strong getting odds to play draws never come in, or worse, hit while someone just got a bigger and more unlikely hand. Your great hands don't hold up, etc.etc.

Is this a big loss for this limit, yes. Hopefully it wont' hit you your first sit down, probably won't, but it CAN. You must have prepared yourself for the possibility.

Listen to AL. I have been in a room ( I mostly play 5-10, some 10-20) where only 2 tables were going. Took first seat available. Sat through an hour of 2 or 3 on flop, asked for first shot at other table, moved and posted and walked into 5-8 seeing every flop. Of course, I had checked it out soon as I was seated at first table, no surprise. Just telling you that even in a 2 table situation it is waaay worth it, let alone more tables.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 PM

Guys, thanks a bunch for your input!

Im leaving tomorrow morning.

For those worrying me about bankroll, I am prepared to drop $500+ in a good game.

So let's see if I got this right:
- game selection
- play most on evenings and weekends.
- lay down to old regulars when they CR the turn.

I'll play the following games and provide report: 5/10 Taj, 4/8 Trop, 7.5/15 Trop, 6/12 Borg, and some $300NL at Borg. No promises on taking shots at 10/20. I'll be representing 2+2ers with pride.

Stay tuned. I'll most likely post report some time on Sat. PM me if I forget.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 PM

Seeker: You will probably be a winner, but are you prepared to deal with the primitive life forms you will encounter at the Taj Majal?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, thanks a bunch for your input!

Im leaving tomorrow morning.

For those worrying me about bankroll, I am prepared to drop $500+ in a good game.

So let's see if I got this right:
- game selection
- play most on evenings and weekends.
- lay down to old regulars when they CR the turn.

I'll play the following games and provide report: 5/10 Taj, 4/8 Trop, 7.5/15 Trop, 6/12 Borg, and some $300NL at Borg. No promises on taking shots at 10/20. I'll be representing 2+2ers with pride.

Stay tuned. I'll most likely post report some time on Sat. PM me if I forget.

Happy Holidays!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck man. I would NEVER have had the balls to play 5/10, 6/12, or 7.5/15 when I was down in the trenches at 1/2. Enjoy playing live, and really do pay attention to game selection. They make it hard to change in the B&M world, but if you ride the floor hard enough its never a problem.