Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: curtains hand #5001: A9o in sb

[ QUOTE ]
I think either folding or calling and playing very passively postflop is best. I was frazzled somehow and moved allin but I don't like it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't completing just an invitation for the big stack in the BB to come over the top?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think either folding or calling and playing very passively postflop is best. I was frazzled somehow and moved allin but I don't like it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't completing just an invitation for the big stack in the BB to come over the top?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but so is a raise to 275-300 (especially with the stacks of hero/villain). And if you just complete you can get away from the hand easy with your stack in good shape.

Another added bonus of completing is that it might look odd coming from a solid player and thus make your opponent much more passive.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but so is a raise to 275-300 (especially with the stacks of hero/villain). And if you just complete you can get away from the hand easy with your stack in good shape.

Another added bonus of completing is that it might look odd coming from a solid player and thus make your opponent much more passive.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he does come over the top, don't you have to have an incredibly good hand to call? Making BB's pushing range very wide?

Maybe there's some secondary or tertiary thinking here: SB knows BB will push with a wide range over a call, so SB must have a pretty good hand to risk the call, so BB won't push as often, so SB can complete more often, etc. I don't know how deep the thinking goes.

With the good chance of the BB coming over the top and being OOP after the flop (if we see a flop), it just seems like completing is donating some chips to the big stack a huge percentage of the time.

I don't pretend to be a $215 player, so I realize this thinking could be low buy-in thinking. My reason for posting is really to find out how the thinking changes as the buy-in increases rather than to give my opinion on how things should be done in a $215.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 PM

I like completing here because I hate all the other options.

Folding- this is obviously incorrect because we've got a really good hand HU.
Raising- postflop's really hard. I get uncomfortable making this play against a normal villain; against a loose/passive villain, we lose a lot of our preflop FE and much more frequently have to play a whiffed flop OOP.
Pushing- not sure what SnGPT says, but I imagine this can't be that great.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:18 PM

I just don't like the risk reward ratio here.

1. 2 shorties
2. 15 bb stack
3. OOP to big stack
4. only 100 if I take it down

I complete and check fold the flop unless I hit big

Straight Flushes,

SAM
Old 12-17-2005, 02:14 PM

What do you consider big?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 AM

I push this with 5 people left. On the bubble, and someone has a 500 stack, I'll limp or fold. But both shorts need to be eliminated for me to make cash, I don't usually take that chance. So I'll still try and steal here. Odds are that either one, MP or UTG, will double up before the money....
Old 12-18-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling and playing very passively postflop

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this. Folding is super weak.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
calling and playing very passively postflop

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this. Folding is super weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think folding is probably fine.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:28 AM

So do I, it's a toss up between folding and completing for me. I'm glad this thread came about though as it was probably a leak in my game too. Of course the two times I tried it yesterday in very similar situations I got raised by the BB, but oh well [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]