Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Hand vs Erik123

From what I have gathered through the forums Erik123 is one of the biggest winners in online limit holdem and I figured that this was a little low of a limit for him. I didn't have any stats on him before sitting down, and figured him to be real solid in a Laggish way. The only thing that i've picked up on him since being at the table is that he plays draws very aggressively. These are the kind of hands that I feel like I'm not getting enough value by only calling the raise by very aggressive opponents, but then I feel like it's close to spewing if I 3 bet.

Ultimate Bet 50/100 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Hand vs Erik123

There's no way you can 3bet there. Call and call the river.

PS What is his username? Is it Erik123?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM

3 betting him in this spot is spewing.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 betting him in this spot is spewing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS What is his username? Is it Erik123?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 12-16-2005, 07:09 PM

That might not be the real eric123. I havn't seen that screenname in the higher UB games and I don't see why he would be playing 50/100 while bigger games are available.
I have no inside knowledge.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:15 PM

a more interesting question is would you even want your screen name to be erik123 if youre not really him?

why would you want players who are afraid of erik123 leaving your games? it would probably be tough for you to get shorthanded games going with weak players and the only players that would probably sit with you are the players who are experienced enough to know that you actually arent erik123.

even worse is that players will be intently watching your every move just because you are an internet poker celebrity. id much rather be the guy that noone notices.

does having the screen name erik123 generate alot of folding equity as people are more likely to fold their blinds to you?

seems like creating the name erik123 is -ev. anyone disagree?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:26 PM

A related story: There's a guy on IP who's name is Lager, but he's not Lager. At first, I refused to sit with him HU cuz I thought he was Lager. I dunno, mb he's better than me, but at best case for him he's quite likely only very minimally +EV vs me, so, by having that name, he saves himself the trouble of having to play a few hundred hands vs me and decide if he even has an edge vs me. Likewise, the people who DO choose to sit and play him HU probably have no clue who Lager is and it's therefore more likely they suck.

Obv this "fake name trick" won't last for him forever, because if I found out it's not Lager, I'm sure many others have too; some of whom very good players who might then be willing to take on this non-Lagerborg.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:27 PM

Call. He's folding if you 3-bet, or 4-betting. Let him bet the river for you.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 PM

yah making the name lager makes some sense because lager isnt famous yet all the good players know who he is. the novice/decent players might not. however, im sure plenty of them will and wont sit with him. how is that good for the lager impersonator? id much rather be using a name like panella (the guy who won the stars wcoop and started playing 5k HU games the very next day) because waiting lists would probably be filling up with players who usually arent good enough to sit in that game.

in the case of lager, as you say alot of novice players might not know who he is but i think pretty much everyone knows who erik123 is no?