Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: beginner book

It's already been mentioned,but let me emphasize again that Chip Reese's chapter on stud in the old Super System is very good. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:48 PM

I wrote a book on 7-stud that has been trashed on this forum [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). Seriously, it has some flaws, but is geared for the beginning player. It needs to have some greater depth to it, which I would add if there was a second version, specifically on playing in high-ante games, raising on the come, buying a free card, and a more in-depth discussion of odds. I feel my second effort was much improved, but this is only avaialbe as an e-book and covers stud 8. Both books are geared for low-stakes play only. My discussions on this forum with those who read the book and criticized it were helpful, and now 3 years later, it's easy to look back on it and see what needs some adjustment.

My collegue Ashely Adams also has a good book on 7-stud, and we both write at pokermagazine.com, and have columns on stud I think you might find helpful.

Say hi if you're ever down at Canterbury Park [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])
Regards,
Paul
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 AM

I'm' sorry to be rude (especially as a fellow author) but the Kammen book is very bad and will set you back. Much of the advice is just flat wrong. The Adams book is better, but still not as good as West. Yes, the West book is flawed in that it tells you to play overly tight. You will need to adjust to the other players and the ante. But it is excellent in introducing pretty advanced strategy ideas about odds, play of hands and hand reading on a basic level. After that, read SCSFAP, which btw is also flawed and by no means "the book" but has a lot of really excellent strategic insight. And the Chip Reese chapter in Super System. A glance at the charts in Othmer is worthwhile, but not not required.